re: waiting for vs waiting on

  • Karen Sell
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2003
      Greetings,

      Jamie had a good point with:

      "Another thing your students should know is that many things that native English speakers say daily without noticing may sound very irritating and "wrong" if they are said with a foreign accent. So your students had better keep their English as "spisovne" as possible."

      I have an Indian co-worker who is often corrected by her native speaker (I should be more specific - native Kentucky speaker) co-workers who often use regionalism that sound plain wrong to me and to her. For the sake of workplace harmony, she doesn't point that out to them. Good and well are pretty much interchangeable, adverbs in general are optional when an adjective is available, and prepositions pop up in the strangest places. All things that would be considered wrong from a non-native speaker.

      Karen