Re: [Czechlist] term: listen BBC, wait on a call

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 27, 2003
      In a message dated 3/27/03 3:56:25 AM, mklimes@... writes:

      >I don't think Waiting ON a call is nespisovne or Black English, just another
      >way of saying it, implying that the call is important and that the waiting
      >is the only thing the person does, rather than I'm doing other things while
      >I'm waiting for something........

      I don't think people on our side of the Atlantic get this difference. This
      is evidently a dialect difference. It may be that "waiting on" was normal
      here before the 19th century and grammarians then tried to purge it, along
      with the other things they decided were wrong, such as "you is".

      >I think it appears in one of Rolling Stones' song - good old Mickie might be
      >trying to sound black there, but I wouldn't limit it just to Black speakers
      >(in BrE)...

      I don't think black speakers of BrE have their own dialects, do they? Here
      they do, and "waiting on" is one element of it. Again, there's evidently a
      US-UK difference I didn't know about.