RE: [Czechlist] Czech Dictionaries

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11, 2000
      >Or I just know little about newer Czech Dictionaries
      ?

      Hi Olda,

      The dictionary that Bob and I have mentioned is called 'Etymologicky slovnik
      jazyka ceskeho', 1997, Nakladatelstvi Lidove noviny.

      There are some excellent articles about the unexpected origins of Czech
      words in Pavel Eisner's classic work 'Chram i Tvrz'. I'll quote you a few
      examples when I get a moment (e.g. I'm probably telling you nothing new when
      I say that 'knedlik' is originally from German - several of my students have
      insisted that the Germans got it from Czech).

      >I like etymology for its own sake, < > I do tend to get blank stares ....
      but not giving up yet.

      :)
      No, don't ever do that!

      M.