TERM: packed and snipped

  • Jaroslav Hejzlar
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2003
      Dear listmates!
      How would you translate the following sentence into Czech?

      "All materials left in booth without instruction will be packed and snipped at the discretion of XXXX and all charges will be assessed to the Exhibitor." (XXXX = exhibition organizer)

      My version is:
      "Veskere materialy ponechane ve stanku bez prislusnych pokynu budou podle uvazeni XXXX sbaleny a skartovany, pricemz naklady s tim spojene budou pripsany na vrub vystavovatele."

      What I am not quite sure of is the term "packed and snipped". TIA for your kind help.

      Jarda Hejzlar

    • Josef Hlavac
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
        I bet it should read "packed and shipped".

        Joe

        --
        Mailto: Josef "Joe" Hlavac <joe@...>
        Phone: +420-776-736715

        On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Jaroslav Hejzlar wrote:

        > Dear listmates!
        > How would you translate the following sentence into Czech?
        >
        > "All materials left in booth without instruction will be packed and
        > snipped at the discretion of XXXX and all charges will be assessed to
        > the Exhibitor." (XXXX = exhibition organizer)
        >
        > My version is:
        > "Veskere materialy ponechane ve stanku bez prislusnych pokynu budou podle uvazeni XXXX sbaleny a skartovany, pricemz naklady s tim spojene budou pripsany na vrub vystavovatele."
        >
        > What I am not quite sure of is the term "packed and snipped". TIA for your kind help.
        >
        > Jarda Hejzlar

        > Czechlist resources:

      • Tropen
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
          Dear Listmates,

          Are there any native-speakers around please? One of my good friends asked
          me to check the following 2 short phrases, which sound really strange to her
          (and to me too).

          1) Koncert uvede a krtem dvou novych CD Lanky Baarove bude provazet ........

          (Concert presentation and adulteration two new CD will guide ......)
          (Concert and adulteration of two new CD`s will be moderated by .....)

          2) CD pokrti guverner Cesko-Slovenskeho Distriktu ......

          (CD christen governor Czech - Slovakia Distrikt .....)
          (CD will be christened by governor of Czech - Slovakia Distrikt....)

          Is there legitimate to use the word "christen" in this context? I never
          translate into English by myself; therefore, I would appreciate very much
          any comment!

          Thanks a lot,

          Tropen
        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
            In a message dated 3/4/03 9:06:18 AM, yoschin@... writes:

            > 1) Koncert uvede a krtem dvou novych CD Lanky Baarove bude provazet ........
            >
            > (Concert presentation and adulteration two new CD will guide ......)
            > (Concert and adulteration of two new CD`s will be moderated by .....)

            This is actually a laughable translation that I couldn't understand at all.
            The word "adulterate" does not mean to baptize, but to add impurities to
            something. So, adulterated milk is milk that is somehow polluted.

            I would say something like, "The concert will launch two new CDs by Lanka
            Baarova, and will be moderated by [person's name]..." Just forget about the
            word "uvede", because a concert to launch a CD obviously presents it.

            > 2) CD pokrti guverner Cesko-Slovenskeho Distriktu ......
            >
            > (CD christen governor Czech - Slovakia Distrikt .....)
            > (CD will be christened by governor of Czech - Slovakia Distrikt....)
            >

            > Is there legitimate to use the word "christen" in this context? I never
            > translate into English by myself; therefore, I would appreciate very much
            > any comment!

            You can say "christen" for a person or a ship, but not usually for a CD.
            I'd say the CD will be presented by the governor.

            Let's see what others say.

          • Tropen
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
              Thank you Jamie,

              I think your comments are sufficient. Thank you very much!

              Best regards,

              Tropen
              > 1) Koncert uvede a krtem dvou novych CD Lanky Baarove bude provazet
              >
              > (Concert presentation and adulteration two new CD will guide ......)
              > (Concert and adulteration of two new CD`s will be moderated by .....)

              This is actually a laughable translation that I couldn't understand at
              all.
              The word "adulterate" does not mean to baptize, but to add impurities to
              something. So, adulterated milk is milk that is somehow polluted.

              I would say something like, "The concert will launch two new CDs by Lanka
              Baarova, and will be moderated by [person's name]..." Just forget about
              the
              word "uvede", because a concert to launch a CD obviously presents it.

              > 2) CD pokrti guverner Cesko-Slovenskeho Distriktu ......
              >
              > (CD christen governor Czech - Slovakia Distrikt .....)
              > (CD will be christened by governor of Czech - Slovakia Distrikt....)
              >

              > Is there legitimate to use the word "christen" in this context? I never
              > translate into English by myself; therefore, I would appreciate very
              much
              > any comment!

              You can say "christen" for a person or a ship, but not usually for a CD.
              I'd say the CD will be presented by the governor.

              Let's see what others say.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Czechlist resources:

              Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

            • Jaroslav Hejzlar
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
                Thanks a lot, Joe!
                You have hit the nail on the head indeed! The original text was scanned and that's why I mistook "h" for "n". I should have looked better. Have a nice evening.
                Jarda