TERM: Managing Director vs. Director General

  • Tomáš Skřont
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2003
      I have another "poll" for native speakers? Lately, I have translated the
      position "generalni reditel" as "managing director". However, the man told
      me that he was used to, and insisted on, "director general". I check this
      with my native-speaker proofreader and he told me that managing director is
      more used in Britain that director general. What do you think? Are those
      those expression equal? Any preferences?

      Tomas Skront
    • Simon Vollam
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2003
        Hi Tomas,

        I would use managing director or chief executive officer (CEO). Doubtless
        there are other possibilities, but IMO "director general" is less common,
        and more likely to be used for the boss of a public body.

        Simon