Re: Abbreviations

  • Petr Adámek
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9, 2000
      Priklanim se k tomu, co tu bylo receno. Pokud jde o carky, je treba se drzet toho, jak se pise organizace sama, respektive jak je zapsana v obchodnim rejstriku, protoze tam rozhoduje i ta carka, bez ni by to udajne mohla byt i jina spolecnost (a naopak).
      Pokud jde o zkratky, v praxi je zazite uzivat zkratky ceske. Ja to resim tak, ze dam do zavorky cesky nazev a pak v uvozovkach zkratku, napriklad: Czech Telecommunications Office (Cesky telekomunikacni urad, "CTU").
      S pozdravem
      Petr Adamek
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 17, 2011
        This isn't Czech, but can anyone tell me the English equivalents of these abbreviations?

        M.-%

        Vol.-%

        They don't appear to be in my dictionaries, and no matter what I do, all search engines filter out the punctuation and percent signs.

        Thanks for any help.

        Jamie
      • Romana
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 17, 2011
          Hi Jamie,

          I'm not sure what the M. stand for, perhaps mass? "Mass percent" is a
          measure in chemistry.

          The other one is clear:

          Vol.-% = Volume percent, or percent(age) by volume

          For example:

          gastr. <http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/12.html> 12
          <http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/per.html> per
          <http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/cent.html> cent
          <http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/alcohol.html> alcohol
          <http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/by.html> by
          <http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/volume.html> volume
          <http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/12%25.html> <12%
          <http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/AbV.html> AbV>

          <http://www.dict.cc/deutsch-englisch/12.html> 12
          <http://www.dict.cc/deutsch-englisch/Volumenprozent.html> Volumenprozent
          <http://www.dict.cc/deutsch-englisch/12.html> <12
          <http://www.dict.cc/deutsch-englisch/Vol.-%25.html> Vol.-%>

          http://www.dict.cc/img/but_history_u.gifhttp://www.dict.cc/img/but_info.gif

          http://www.dict.cc/img/hr4.gif

          Feel free to link to this translation! Permanent link:
          <http://www.dict.cc/?s=Volumenprozent> http://www.dict.cc/?s=Volumenprozent

          Romana

          This isn't Czech, but can anyone tell me the English equivalents of these
          abbreviations?

          M.-%

          Vol.-%

          They don't appear to be in my dictionaries, and no matter what I do, all
          search engines filter out the punctuation and percent signs.

          Thanks for any help.

        • MailingLists - Helga
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 17, 2011
            Jamie, I can´t say it in CZE or ENG, but I can in German. This way you
            should be able to find the ENG term anyway.

            Mengenprozent

            Volumensprozent

            Helga

            _____

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 17, 2011
              Hi, I guess my previous message got stuck because I’ve sent it from the
              wrong email account.

              Helga is right, and it is

              Mass percent, and

              Volume percent.

              Cheers,

              Romana

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 18, 2011
                Seconded. What I can commonly see in my English science texts is XX%
                (w/w) as in 'weight per cent' or XX% (v/v) or any combination of those.

                See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percentage_solution

                HTH
                Martin

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 18, 2011
                  Thank you, Helga, Romana and Martin. This has helped me find what I needed.

                  There's XX% m/v and XX% v/v.

                  Jamie