Re: [Czechlist] Pocesteny (was: IT terms)

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 31 , Feb 28, 2003
      In a message dated 2/28/03 4:36:49 PM, janstary2002@... writes:

      > For everyday purposes, however, where leakage from the 'impromptu'
      > connotation does no harm, I would usually go for 'Czechified', and I would
      > not hesitate to use 'Czechification' even in the most formal of contexts.

      Both of them sound jokey to me, and when I do use them, I feel aware that
      they have a slightly hillbilly sound to them, similar to the word "cityfied".

      The term I have mostly found in formal linguistics texts leaves out the
      Moravians (as always seems to be the case) but does not sound so
      unsophisticated. The term is "Bohemized". This is used by the most
      respected Bohemists on this side of the ocean.

    • Zemedelec@aol.com
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 7, 2003
        Just for fun, there's a phrase of James Baldwin's I'd like someone to try to
        translate: "Drop dead slowly, in great pain!" (vocative) I guess the "drop
        safe" title line reminded me.

        Leslie