RE: Abbreviations, possessives

  • Otto Pacholik
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2000
      > 1) (You may have already discussed this here, but I am not sure)
      > WRITING COMMAS IN BUSINESS NAMES OF CZECH COMPANIES
      > such as in "KB, a.s." or "KB a.s.".
      > I guess this is a matter of taste, but I always prefer "KB a.s."
      > form, i.e.
      > without comma, as the Czech Commercial Code says "Business name is the
      > company's title + "a.s." or "akc. spol." or "akciová společnost". Comma is
      > not mentioned!
      > Any suggestions?

      Depending on context you either must keep the original wording or you can
      proceed according to your own taste. When translating a legal text you must
      keep the original (it has to be exactly as registered in the Registrar of
      companies), including commas. In other cases you may adapt your translation
      as you wish.

      Otto
    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2000
        >I guess this is a matter of taste, but I always prefer "KB a.s." form, i.e.
        >without comma, as the Czech Commercial Code says "Business name is the
        >company's title + "a.s." or "akc. spol." or "akciová spoleãnost". Comma is
        >not mentioned!
        >Any suggestions?

        I always follow the company's own usage. The "official" name is
        specified in the company's statutes (this also applies to
        capitalization, etc.). I assume they're using their own name
        correctly, or if they're not, they can't very well complain if I
        follow their lead. I don't think there's any problem leaving the a.s.
        off after the first mention if there's not a specific reason to use
        the company's full official name. If you're already abbreviating
        Komercni banka to KB, there's probably no good reason to keep the a.s.

        >2) POSSESSIVES OF COMPANIES
        >I guess possessive case is preferred here. But I do not like forms such as
        >"KB a.s.'s" much, although I have already come across them. Do you omit
        >"a.s." in such case and write just "KB's earnings" or do you use of-clauses
        >as in "earnings of KB"? I am all ears!

        I would also avoid "a.s.'s". Whether you can use "of" is something
        you have to play by ear in specific cases. Most of the time it's
        perfectly all right to drop the "a.s." as long as it's included in
        the first mention and in cases where you're using the full official
        name.

        >3) ABBREVIATIONS
        >Obviously, Czech abbreviations do not fit to English equivalents.
        >E.g. âesk˜ telekomunikaãní úÞad = âTÚ
        > Czech Telecommunication Authority

        FWIW, I thought they called themselves "Czech Telecommunications
        Office" (haven't checked recently).

        >Shall we translate âTÚ in the Czech text into English as the full expression
        >"Czech Telecommunication Authority" OR after the first such translation put
        >"âTÚ" in brackets and use âTÚ in the English text since then OR to create a
        >new English abbreviation "CTA" and use it???

        On whether to use the full name or an abbreviation, I'd probably
        follow the original and lean towards the (Czech) abbreviation in case
        of doubt. It's probably a good idea to expand it at first mention
        even if the original doesn't. I definitely wouldn't make up my own
        English abbreviation. A few Czech institutions, such as the Prague
        Stock Exchange (PSE) do have accepted English abbreviations already,
        but I doubt the âTÚ does.

        Michael

        Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239, Fax (+1-817) 514-6413