Pocesteny (was: IT terms)

  • melvyn.geo <zehrovak@dr.com>
    Message 1 of 31 , Feb 26, 2003
      Matej wrote:
      > BTW - how would you say "pocesteny" in E?

      Poldauf/Pynsent opt for 'Czechicized' but I think that in practice you are just as likely to come across 'Czechified' and 'Czechification', albeit quite often in inverted commas.

      I think that the '-ify' ending can sometimes come over as an ad hoc usage that puts over the idea of 'more or less done up that way for the occasion'. This probably explains the tendency to use the inverted commas.

      For everyday purposes, however, where leakage from the 'impromptu' connotation does no harm, I would usually go for 'Czechified', and I would not hesitate to use 'Czechification' even in the most formal of contexts.

      M.
      ---
      Kdyz Allah zavira jedny dvere, tisice jinych otevira.
    • Zemedelec@aol.com
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 7, 2003
        Just for fun, there's a phrase of James Baldwin's I'd like someone to try to
        translate: "Drop dead slowly, in great pain!" (vocative) I guess the "drop
        safe" title line reminded me.

        Leslie