Abbreviations, possessives

  • Tomáš Skřont
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2000
      Hello all,
      I have prepared new "homework" for you :)

      I'd like to introduce several ideas and I am eager to receive any
      suggestions in relation to the following issues:

      1) (You may have already discussed this here, but I am not sure)
      WRITING COMMAS IN BUSINESS NAMES OF CZECH COMPANIES
      such as in "KB, a.s." or "KB a.s.".
      I guess this is a matter of taste, but I always prefer "KB a.s." form, i.e.
      without comma, as the Czech Commercial Code says "Business name is the
      company's title + "a.s." or "akc. spol." or "akciová společnost". Comma is
      not mentioned!
      Any suggestions?

      2) POSSESSIVES OF COMPANIES
      I guess possessive case is preferred here. But I do not like forms such as
      "KB a.s.'s" much, although I have already come across them. Do you omit
      "a.s." in such case and write just "KB's earnings" or do you use of-clauses
      as in "earnings of KB"? I am all ears!

      3) ABBREVIATIONS
      Obviously, Czech abbreviations do not fit to English equivalents.
      E.g. Český telekomunikační úřad = ČTÚ
      Czech Telecommunication Authority

      Shall we translate ČTÚ in the Czech text into English as the full expression
      "Czech Telecommunication Authority" OR after the first such translation put
      "ČTÚ" in brackets and use ČTÚ in the English text since then OR to create a
      new English abbreviation "CTA" and use it???

      I am looking forward to your suggestions.
      Thanks in advance for your contributions.

      Best regards,

      Ing. Tomas Skront
      cheap, quick and reliable freelance Czech<>English translator
      Kurzova 12/2224, 155 00 Prague 5, Czech Rep.
      Tel/Fax: +420 2 56 156 77
      Mobile phone: + 420 602 712 923
      www.dtk.cz/tomasskront
    • Otto Pacholik
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2000
        > 1) (You may have already discussed this here, but I am not sure)
        > WRITING COMMAS IN BUSINESS NAMES OF CZECH COMPANIES
        > such as in "KB, a.s." or "KB a.s.".
        > I guess this is a matter of taste, but I always prefer "KB a.s."
        > form, i.e.
        > without comma, as the Czech Commercial Code says "Business name is the
        > company's title + "a.s." or "akc. spol." or "akciová společnost". Comma is
        > not mentioned!
        > Any suggestions?

        Depending on context you either must keep the original wording or you can
        proceed according to your own taste. When translating a legal text you must
        keep the original (it has to be exactly as registered in the Registrar of
        companies), including commas. In other cases you may adapt your translation
        as you wish.

        Otto
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2000
          >I guess this is a matter of taste, but I always prefer "KB a.s." form, i.e.
          >without comma, as the Czech Commercial Code says "Business name is the
          >company's title + "a.s." or "akc. spol." or "akciová spoleãnost". Comma is
          >not mentioned!
          >Any suggestions?

          I always follow the company's own usage. The "official" name is
          specified in the company's statutes (this also applies to
          capitalization, etc.). I assume they're using their own name
          correctly, or if they're not, they can't very well complain if I
          follow their lead. I don't think there's any problem leaving the a.s.
          off after the first mention if there's not a specific reason to use
          the company's full official name. If you're already abbreviating
          Komercni banka to KB, there's probably no good reason to keep the a.s.

          >2) POSSESSIVES OF COMPANIES
          >I guess possessive case is preferred here. But I do not like forms such as
          >"KB a.s.'s" much, although I have already come across them. Do you omit
          >"a.s." in such case and write just "KB's earnings" or do you use of-clauses
          >as in "earnings of KB"? I am all ears!

          I would also avoid "a.s.'s". Whether you can use "of" is something
          you have to play by ear in specific cases. Most of the time it's
          perfectly all right to drop the "a.s." as long as it's included in
          the first mention and in cases where you're using the full official
          name.

          >3) ABBREVIATIONS
          >Obviously, Czech abbreviations do not fit to English equivalents.
          >E.g. âesk˜ telekomunikaãní úÞad = âTÚ
          > Czech Telecommunication Authority

          FWIW, I thought they called themselves "Czech Telecommunications
          Office" (haven't checked recently).

          >Shall we translate âTÚ in the Czech text into English as the full expression
          >"Czech Telecommunication Authority" OR after the first such translation put
          >"âTÚ" in brackets and use âTÚ in the English text since then OR to create a
          >new English abbreviation "CTA" and use it???

          On whether to use the full name or an abbreviation, I'd probably
          follow the original and lean towards the (Czech) abbreviation in case
          of doubt. It's probably a good idea to expand it at first mention
          even if the original doesn't. I definitely wouldn't make up my own
          English abbreviation. A few Czech institutions, such as the Prague
          Stock Exchange (PSE) do have accepted English abbreviations already,
          but I doubt the âTÚ does.

          Michael

          Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239, Fax (+1-817) 514-6413