Svepomoc

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2000
      Hi everybody,

      I think that one of the main conclusions to come out of the recent
      discussions on the role of agencies has been the general dissatisfaction
      over their lack of support for professional development.

      I suggest that we could help to fill this gap with a little mutual
      assistance. How about weekly or fortnightly get-togethers of Czech and
      native English-speaking translators from Czechlist with the aim of helping
      one another develop skills? I would envisage such activities as:

      * Use of skills-development exercises in such books as 'Becoming a
      Translator' and 'In Other Words' (see 'Recommended Reading' section of
      resources page)

      * Discussion of specific problems that have arisen in our recent work and
      comparison of our different approaches

      * Back-translation exercises

      * Quizzes on terminology and similar fun:( activities

      * Comparison and study of British, American and Czech annual reports,
      contracts etc.

      I used to run a translation course at the State Language School a few years
      back and I would be glad to put my experience there to good use (e.g. in
      maintaining cohesion and continuity of study) - though of course I do not
      claim to know the subject inside-out at all and would expect to learn plenty
      from colleagues too.

      Anybody interested? Maybe we could discuss this idea at our next informal
      pub meeting (sometime next week?). Meanwhile, any ideas or comments,
      anybody?

      Regards,

      Melvyn

      FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
    • ruck@razdva.cz
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 9, 2001
        Hello guys,

        realizing I was one of the "newcomers" to inspire the shift in the
        date of your meetings, I do assure you I still want to take part.

        However, going through a complex process of budget presentations I
        came home late at night totally exhausted. So please excuse me. Sarka