Re: Bumbrlicek and Bivoj

  • tomas_barendregt <barendregt@earthlink.n
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 4, 2003
      I would suggest Behemoth for Bivoj, that way you have biblical names
      for all three of them (not that that is of supreme importance...).

      Tom
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 4, 2003
        I think we are still missing the point with Bumbrlicek - we need someone
        huge, fat and ever hungry... Are UK/US audience familiar with Gargantua and
        Pantagruel?

      • erisdiscordia.rm <erik@sky.cz>
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 4, 2003
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Janda" <mjanda@g...> wrote:
          > I think we are still missing the point with Bumbrlicek - we need
          someone
          > huge, fat and ever hungry... Are UK/US audience familiar with
          Gargantua and
          > Pantagruel?
          >
          > M.
          I can't speak for the UK audience, but as far as the US audience, no,
          that would require us to read books, which we don't. We can't find
          the button on the remote control to turn them on.

          The only biblical character I can think of who is "huge, fat, and
          ever hungry" would be Nero, and I'm not even sure he's biblical.

          Here's some information from thesaurus.com on words for "large
          characters":

          Entry: giant
          Function: noun
          Definition: goliath
          Synonyms: Hercules, behemoth, brobdingnagian, bulk, colossus,
          cyclops, elephant, goliath, hulk, jumbo, leviathan, lump, mammoth,
          monster, mountain, ogre, polypheme, titan, whale, whopper
          Concept: size (large)
          Source: Roget's Interactive Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.0.0)
          Copyright © 2003 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights
          reserved.

          Wouldn't behemoth be better for bumbrlicek? To me that more suggests
          bigness, slowness, and appetite.

          What I can't figure out is why Bivoj was used for a company that
          was "not transparent" enough - what's not transparent about a
          lovestruck, boar-baiting barbarian?

          Erik

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Michael Trittipo
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 4, 2003

            >>huge, fat and ever hungry... Are UK/US audience familiar with
            >>

            >Gargantua and
            >

            >>Pantagruel?

            U.S. audiences probably know Gargantua ("gargantuan" is a perfectly good
            adjective in English). But unless they wasted their youth as a French
            lit major as I did, they probably don't know Pantagruel, Trinquamel,
            Epistemon, Bridoie, etc.
          • melvyn.geo <zehrovak@dr.com>
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 4, 2003
              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "erisdiscordia.rm <erik@s...>" <erik@s...> wrote:

              > a lovestruck, boar-baiting barbarian?

              A guy who goes around biffing boars on the bonce rather reminds me of Asterix. Could Bumbrlicek then be represented by the gluttonous Obelix? OK they're not legendary characters as such but perhaps they are the kind of archetypal figures that you are looking for.

              M.
              ---
              Exhilaration is that feeling you get just after a great idea
              hits you, and just before you realize what's wrong with it.
            • Rubková
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 4, 2003
                For me Bumbrlicek is a fairy tale person. Greedy fatty child eating
                everything. Not barbarian eating boars. I don't know how you get to
                boar-eating barbarian, but he looks like Bivoj, mythical strong person who
                brought his fiancee a life boar on his back.

                But back to Bumbrdliček, what about Humpry-Dumpty?

                Sarka
                A guy who goes around biffing boars on the bonce rather reminds me of
                Asterix. Could Bumbrlicek then be represented by the gluttonous Obelix? OK
                they're not legendary characters as such but perhaps they are the kind of
                archetypal figures that you are looking for.

                M.
                ---
                Exhilaration is that feeling you get just after a great idea
                hits you, and just before you realize what's wrong with it.

                Czechlist resources:

                Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

                ---
                Příchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.

                ---
                Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
              • melvyn.geo <zehrovak@dr.com>
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 5, 2003
                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Rubková <rubkova@l...> wrote:
                  > For me Bumbrlicek is a fairy tale person. Greedy fatty child eating
                  > everything. Not barbarian eating boars. I don't know how you get to
                  > boar-eating barbarian, but he looks like Bivoj, mythical strong person wh=
                  > brought his fiancee a life boar on his back.

                  Nobody said he ate the boar. Didn't Bivoj just hit the boar on the nose (in=
                  a forest clearing at Kavci hora, I believe, at a spot close to the Czech TV=
                  Director's office) so he could give it to Kazi, Libuse's smarter elder sis=
                  ter?

                  > But back to Bumbrdlièek, what about Humpry-Dumpty?

                  Hmmm. He's fat because he looks like pan Vajicko even if Hais Hodek do call=
                  him Bumbrlicek too. He's not really well-known for eating a lot. Billy Bunt=
                  er is one archetypal British fat kid but he's a comic book character rather =
                  than a figure from fairy tales. I'm not sure he would fit the context.

                  Any chance of seeing more context here?

                  Melvyn
                  ---
                  Humpty Dumpty was pushed.
                • Petr Jarolím
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 5, 2003
                    Dear listmates!

                    Some context for Bumbrlicek a Bivoj:
                    1. Bumbrlicek ma hlad...
                    2. Vitezny Bivoj je z cele trojice konkurentu zrejme nejzkusenejsi
                    3. Ne vsechna tato vyjadreni "kopou" za Bivoje (really terrible Czech
                    sentence...)

                    I have not made up my mind yet, but "Bivoj" can be "The Strong One", and
                    Bumbrlicek will be probably referred to as "The Big One" in my translation.

                    The target reader will be the shareholder of one of those companies. And
                    that company is neither US nor UK....

                    regards and thanks for all suggestions!
                    Hanka

                    melvyn.geo wrote:
                    > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Rubková <rubkova@l...> wrote:
                    >
                    >>For me Bumbrlicek is a fairy tale person. Greedy fatty child eating
                    >>everything. Not barbarian eating boars. I don't know how you get to
                    >>boar-eating barbarian, but he looks like Bivoj, mythical strong person wh=

                    >>brought his fiancee a life boar on his back.
                    >

                    > Nobody said he ate the boar. Didn't Bivoj just hit the boar on the nose (in=
                    > a forest clearing at Kavci hora, I believe, at a spot close to the Czech TV=
                    > Director's office) so he could give it to Kazi, Libuse's smarter elder sis=
                    > ter?
                    >

                    >>But back to Bumbrdlièek, what about Humpry-Dumpty?
                    >

                    > Hmmm. He's fat because he looks like pan Vajicko even if Hais Hodek do call=
                    > him Bumbrlicek too. He's not really well-known for eating a lot. Billy Bunt=
                    > er is one archetypal British fat kid but he's a comic book character rather =
                    > than a figure from fairy tales. I'm not sure he would fit the context.
                    >
                    > Any chance of seeing more context here?
                    >
                    > Melvyn
                    > ---
                    > Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

                    > Czechlist resources:

                  • Michal Ginter
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 5, 2003
                      Ja bych nechal jmena v originale a pridal vysvetlivku.
                      M.
                    • melvyn.geo <zehrovak@dr.com>
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 5, 2003
                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Petr Jarolím <ok2med@c...> wrote:

                        > I have not made up my mind yet, but "Bivoj" can be "The Strong One", and =

                        > Bumbrlicek will be probably referred to as "The Big One" in my translatio=
                        n.

                        Would it be stylistically permissible to invent a couple of Mr Men? Mr Hung=
                        ry or Mr Stout versus Mr Strong or Mr Muscles? Might well work in journalist=
                        ic style IMHO.

                        The sky's the limit, really. Mr Rapacious, Opaque and Entirely Oblivious to=
                        the Social Consequences of his Dubious Accounting Practices atd.

                        S pozdravem,

                        M.
                        ---
                        Nejsem nerozumny. Jen nemam ten stejny rozum jako vy.
                        - Diogenes