Ductwork

  • livingston@seznam.cz
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2003
      > "rozvod vzduchu" is used to refer to pipes (trubky, just like gas pipes)
      > that distribute compressed air around hospitals, laboratories, factories and
      > other pieces where a readily source of it may be needed without having to
      > wheel around potentially explosive containers ...

      To neznamena, ze se to nemuze pouzivat take na ductwork. Myslim, ze tyto
      dve aplikace terminu "rozvody vzduchu" se vzajemne nevylucuji.

      Tebou zminene rozvody by se presneji nazyvaly "rozvody stlaceneho
      vzduchu".

      Ductwork se muze presneji nazyvat "rozvody topneho/chladiciho vzduchu"

      To nic nemeni na tom, ze oboje jsou "rozvody vzduchu".

      Faktem nejspis je, ze ductwork se v ceskem stavebnictvi tak malo pouziva,
      ze neni pro to zazity vyraz.

      Nathan Cutler
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2003
        Nathan,

        I have multiple thousands of pages of Czech "technicke zpravy" in my old
        translations archive and none of them uses rozvody vzduchu for the
        ducting/ductwork (big square or round pipes) - it would be very misleading
        to use this term without context, I think 90 % of Czech engineers would
        automatically think of "stlaceny vzduch", no real explanation, but that's
        the way it is, IMHO.

        > Tebou zminene rozvody by se presneji nazyvaly "rozvody stlaceneho
        > vzduchu".

        That may be, but because (in my experience) everybody uses "rozvod vzduchu"
        exclusively for pressurized air, the "stlaceny" bit became redundant (no
        need to say it 150 times in a document).

        > Ductwork se muze presneji nazyvat "rozvody topneho/chladiciho vzduchu"

        Nice idea, but misleading again, ducts are used for other stuff than
        cooling/heating a space by air - no time for long explanations here...

        > Faktem nejspis je, ze ductwork se v ceskem stavebnictvi tak malo pouziva,
        > ze neni pro to zazity vyraz.

        I don't agree - it's not used (for good reasons) in small houses, but every
        large(r), especially administrative/retail building has them - we just call
        them differently (VZT potrubi) - it may not seem logical to you (or me if I
        think about it), but since that's what the engineers use it's not up to us
        to correct them - it would only mean people would confuse the two systems
        and build a nonsense.

        IMHO a ranslator (especially of technical texts) must be experienced in the
        given field in both the source and target language (and ideally in both (or
        several) environments/countries), because the stuff we translate talk about
        things that are called by completely different names and even concepts in
        diferent countries - often even accross the English speaking world -
        linguistic thinking does not get us very far, after all, we do it so that
        the house stands on the ground and makes the occupants reasonably
        comfortable, among other things, not to win Nobel Prizes for novel
        translation approaches.

        At least that's my approach.

        Matej

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2003
          A typo in my previous post, this sentence should have read:

          Nice idea, but misleading again, ducts are ALSO used for other stuff than
          cooling/heating a space by air - no time for long explanations here...