RE: [Czechlist] Re: Ductwork

  • Rubková
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2003
      Ne, neni. Technicky rozvod vzduchu v cestine neni totez jako
      vzduchotechnicke potrubi.

      Sarka

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2003
        > "rozvod vzduchu" is used to refer to pipes (trubky, just like gas pipes)
        > that distribute compressed air around hospitals, laboratories, factories and
        > other pieces where a readily source of it may be needed without having to
        > wheel around potentially explosive containers ...

        To neznamena, ze se to nemuze pouzivat take na ductwork. Myslim, ze tyto
        dve aplikace terminu "rozvody vzduchu" se vzajemne nevylucuji.

        Tebou zminene rozvody by se presneji nazyvaly "rozvody stlaceneho
        vzduchu".

        Ductwork se muze presneji nazyvat "rozvody topneho/chladiciho vzduchu"

        To nic nemeni na tom, ze oboje jsou "rozvody vzduchu".

        Faktem nejspis je, ze ductwork se v ceskem stavebnictvi tak malo pouziva,
        ze neni pro to zazity vyraz.

        Nathan Cutler
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2003
          Nathan,

          I have multiple thousands of pages of Czech "technicke zpravy" in my old
          translations archive and none of them uses rozvody vzduchu for the
          ducting/ductwork (big square or round pipes) - it would be very misleading
          to use this term without context, I think 90 % of Czech engineers would
          automatically think of "stlaceny vzduch", no real explanation, but that's
          the way it is, IMHO.

          > Tebou zminene rozvody by se presneji nazyvaly "rozvody stlaceneho
          > vzduchu".

          That may be, but because (in my experience) everybody uses "rozvod vzduchu"
          exclusively for pressurized air, the "stlaceny" bit became redundant (no
          need to say it 150 times in a document).

          > Ductwork se muze presneji nazyvat "rozvody topneho/chladiciho vzduchu"

          Nice idea, but misleading again, ducts are used for other stuff than
          cooling/heating a space by air - no time for long explanations here...

          > Faktem nejspis je, ze ductwork se v ceskem stavebnictvi tak malo pouziva,
          > ze neni pro to zazity vyraz.

          I don't agree - it's not used (for good reasons) in small houses, but every
          large(r), especially administrative/retail building has them - we just call
          them differently (VZT potrubi) - it may not seem logical to you (or me if I
          think about it), but since that's what the engineers use it's not up to us
          to correct them - it would only mean people would confuse the two systems
          and build a nonsense.

          IMHO a ranslator (especially of technical texts) must be experienced in the
          given field in both the source and target language (and ideally in both (or
          several) environments/countries), because the stuff we translate talk about
          things that are called by completely different names and even concepts in
          diferent countries - often even accross the English speaking world -
          linguistic thinking does not get us very far, after all, we do it so that
          the house stands on the ground and makes the occupants reasonably
          comfortable, among other things, not to win Nobel Prizes for novel
          translation approaches.

          At least that's my approach.

          Matej

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2003
            A typo in my previous post, this sentence should have read:

            Nice idea, but misleading again, ducts are ALSO used for other stuff than
            cooling/heating a space by air - no time for long explanations here...