Re: "at" sign

  • Jiri Pelka <jiripelka@yahoo.co.uk>
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2003
      Good morning, Hana,

      I have just been doing archiving and early mid-winter cleaning and
      found an article about @ (at) sign "Ikona obchodniku" by Giorgio
      Stabile (in a very good Czech translation by, I assume, Petr Kaucky,
      the editor of ToP) in the June 2001 (XI/58) issue of the journal of
      JTP (the ToP I have mentioned in brackets).

      This journal is sent to JTP members and to subscribers (it might be
      found in some good libraries, especially the university ones), and in
      its article, one can get vere well researched, detailed, and thorough
      information about the "at" sign.

      For example, references as far back as into 1536 Tuscany, 1932 New
      York. By the way, the author "guestimates" the sign's origin not
      older than of the 15th century.

      To name just a few national terms for this sign, JTP members at home
      (this means both Czech and Slovak republics, as the JTP is one of the
      few associations that preserved Czecho-Slovak character) as well as
      abroad did their homework, and, found curious nicknames for the "at"
      sign as follows:

      the English, beside regular "at", use "at sign", "commercial
      at", "monkey", "vortex", "Chelsea bun" (correct and/or supplement the
      author, dear native English speakers);

      Dutch call it "apenstaartje",

      Germans "AT-
      Zeichen", "Klammeraffe", "Affenohr", "Affenschwanz", "Schnecke",

      Swedes "snabel-a",

      and for other languages, as well as for the whole article, refer
      kindly to the above issue of the ToP journal.

      By the way, do you find, and did you find years ago, the
      Czech "zavinac" suitable and convenient? I have to admit that I
      disliked it a lot, but, at the end I got accustomed to it.

      Cheers and enjoy snowy good weekend.

      Jiri