Filings

  • Tomáš Skřont
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2000
      Can anyone urgently help with translation of "filings" in the following
      context:

      Actual results may vary significantly based upon ... and other filings with
      the Securities and Exchange Commission?

      Jediný překlad, který jsem našel jsou "piliny", což se zde jaksi nehodí!

      Děkuji předem za Vaši pomoc i za vysvětlení ohledně mých včerejších zpráv
      (předkontace a accounts receivable and payable).

      Ing. Tomáš Skřont
      levný, rychlý a spolehlivý překladatelský servis
      telefon/fax: 56 156 77
      mobil: 0602 712 923
      www.dtk.cz/tomasskront
    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2000
        >Can anyone urgently help with translation of "filings" in the following
        >context:
        >
        >Actual results may vary significantly based upon ... and other filings with
        >the Securities and Exchange Commission?
        >
        >Jedin˜ pÞeklad, kter˜ jsem na”el jsou "piliny", coÏ se zde jaksi nehodí!

        To urcite ne! "Filings" refers to documents filed. Podani? Predlozene podklady?
        Michael

        Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239, Fax (+1-817) 514-6413
      • Radovan Pletka
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2000
          At 10:00 AM 06/30/2000 +0200, you wrote:
          >Can anyone urgently help with translation of "filings" in the following
          >context:
          >
          >Actual results may vary significantly based upon ... and other filings with
          >the Securities and Exchange Commission?
          >
          >Jediný pøeklad, který jsem na¹el jsou "piliny", co¾ se zde jaksi nehodí!

          "filings" is a good example of quickly developing official language, where
          dictionaries never caught up. Even OED doesn't have it. The explanations
          you got are correct. basically it is anything you have to file with Uncle
          Sam, because he told you so (-:

          Closest dictionary explanation I found was In American Heritage dictionary

          fil·ing (fº“l¹ng) n. 1. The act or an instance of using a file.

          which is fairly accurate definition.
          Radovan Pletka, Czech and Slovak Services
          P.O.Box 11202, Burke, VA 22015, USA
          Phone703 323 6659, E-fax 561 423 8233, Mobile phone 703 980 8554
          pletka@..., RPletka@..., ICQ: 286 386 96
          www.czechtranslation.com - www.jobsfortranslators.com
          Publisher of the famous weekly job list for translators/interpreters -Feel
          free to request a sample (-:
          Subscription $30 per calendar year (or $3 per month if you are subscribing
          later in the year)
          (cash, check, VISA, MASTER and AMEX accepted)
        • Michael Trittipo
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2000
            At 08:50 2000/06/30 -0500, Michael Grant wrote, in response to this question:
            >> . . . other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission?
            >> Jedin˜ pÞeklad, kter˜ jsem na”el jsou "piliny", coÏ se zde jaksi nehodí!

            >To urcite ne! "Filings" refers to documents filed. Podani? Predlozene
            podklady?

            Souhlasim. "Maly domaci pravnik" (II. dil, Kindl/Valkova) rika:
            ++
            Oddil I Soudy
            1. Podani soudu
            1.1. Spisova znacka
            Dorucime-li nejakou pisemnost ("pravnicky" se ji rika _podani_) soudu . . .
            bude toto podani zapsano v prislusnych soudnich rejstricich . . ..
            ++

            The word "filings" is common in this sense. See, "SEC filings,"
            http://biz.yahoo.com/reports/edgar.html; "Edgar Online: the source for SEC
            filings," http://www.edgar-online.com/; etc. Cf. "Court filings,"
            http://library.dialog.com/bluesheets/html/bl0793.html; Microsoft and
            government filings, http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/ms_index.htm. The query
            "court filings" as a phrase produces 5,000+ results on Google, and the
            query "SEC filings" as a phrase gives 195,000. As a lawyer, I'd say it's
            more common than filings in the sense of metallic sawdust or shavings; but
            mechanics and metal-workers might disagree. :-)

            Michael Trittipo
            Minneapolis, Minnesota
            mailto:tritt002@...