Re: [Czechlist]

  • jan stary
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2003
      I am sure someone has already helped with this one, but just in case...:)
      This is by no means a typo. I am sure it meant to be "aficionado", which is commonly used (at least in this time zone of the English speaking world) as a fan of...whatever. It can a be a movie lover as much as a blond girls/boys chaser. Or, a lover of Indian cuisine, for that matter.
      Have a terrific 2003!
      Honza

      pavlinapet@... wrote:Hi all,

      I have come across an expression recently which I haven�t found
      in any dictionary so far and a native speaker didn�t know it
      either. It is "afficiando". The text is about Indian cuisine and
      the word "afficiando" is used in the title of a paragraph: "For
      afificiandos and students alike" (should roughly mean that an
      Indian restaurant in Prague is visited by both groups of people).
      Nevertheless, I have found a similar expression - "afficionado" -
      in the dictionary, meaning lover, fan, devotee etc. It would make
      sense, wouldn�t it? But is someone of you sure to tell that it is
      a misprint or writer�s mistake?

      Thanks a lot and I wish you all the very best for 2003!

      Pavlina

      Czechlist resources:

      Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com