Re: [Czechlist] Fussed

  • Radovan Pletka
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 29, 2000
      >I don't think it'll get very far, because it neglects one of the most
      >important roles of the agency, one which most clients don't have the
      >ability to handle themselves--that of selecting capable translators.
      >As we all know, there are an awful lot of people out there who call
      >themselves translators, but don't really know what they're doing.
      >There's also the fact that agencies, unlike individuals, are rarely
      >too busy to take a job, since they can always simply assign it to
      >another translator if their first choice is busy, can't be reached,
      >or whatever.
      >I think agencies will be with us for a long time to come, because
      >they facilitate the whole process in a lot of ways that no one else
      >can (unless they effectively turn into agencies themselves).
      >
      >Michael

      You don't need brick and mortar TA in order to select a good translator.
      In fact, the need to pay for a brick and mortar often forces the TA to select
      cheaper, but not as good translator in order to protect its overhead spread.
      Good project manager working as freelancer on project by project basis
      can pick good translators much chepaer than bricka and mortar classic TA.

      Radovan Pletka, Czech and Slovak Services
      P.O.Box 11202, Burke, VA 22015, USA
      Phone703 323 6659, E-fax 561 423 8233, Mobile phone 703 980 8554
      pletka@..., RPletka@..., ICQ: 286 386 96
      www.czechtranslation.com - www.jobsfortranslators.com
      Publisher of the famous weekly job list for translators/interpreters -Feel
      free to request a sample (-:
      Subscription $30 per calendar year (or $3 per month if you are subscribing
      later in the year)
      (cash, check, VISA, MASTER and AMEX accepted)
    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 29, 2000
        >You don't need brick and mortar TA in order to select a good translator.
        >In fact, the need to pay for a brick and mortar often forces the TA to select
        >cheaper, but not as good translator in order to protect its overhead spread.
        >Good project manager working as freelancer on project by project basis
        >can pick good translators much chepaer than bricka and mortar classic TA.

        You still haven't really defined your concepts. As far as I can tell,
        the distinguishing characteristics of your new-style agency are lack
        of "bricks and mortar" (which is nothing new--home-based agencies are
        not uncommon; mine is one) and freelance rather than permanently
        employed project managers.
        I don't really understand how the freelance project manager concept
        is supposed to work. Who coordinates the project managers? Why would
        a project manager want to work on a freelance basis?

        Michael

        Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239, Fax (+1-817) 514-6413
      • Radovan Pletka
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 29, 2000
          I am glad you don't understand it, I don't want too much competition too
          early (-:

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 29, 2000
            >I am glad you don't understand it, I don't want too much competition too
            >early (-:

            Then why do you talk about it on the list?
            Michael
            (the competition?)

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 29, 2000
              At 04:01 PM 06/29/2000 -0500, you wrote:
              >>I am glad you don't understand it, I don't want too much competition too
              >>early (-:
              >
              >Then why do you talk about it on the list?
              >Michael
              >(the competition?)

              To see how they will react to it (-:

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 30, 2000
                >To see how they will react to it (-:

                Them newfangled contraptions'll never get off the ground!
                ;-)
                Michael

                Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239, Fax (+1-817) 514-6413
              • Kostas Zgafas
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 30, 2000
                  > Them newfangled contraptions'll never get off the ground!
                  > ;-)
                  > Michael

                  I am quite curious, can you say it again, in a more common way?

                  Kostas

                  > --
                  > BLUE DANUBE international communication services
                  > The Central and East European Language Source!
                  > <http://www.bdanube.com>, <mailto:bdanube@...>
                  > Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239, Fax (+1-817) 514-6413

                  > CLICK HERE AND START SAVING ON LONG DISTANCE BILLS TODAY!
                  >
                  > Czechlist homepage:
                  > http://www.egroups.com/group/Czechlist
                  >
                  > Community email addresses:
                  > Post message: Czechlist@egroups.com
                  > Subscribe: Czechlist-subscribe@egroups.com
                  > Digest: Czechlist-digest@egroups.com

                • Michael Grant
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 30, 2000
                    > > Them newfangled contraptions'll never get off the ground!
                    > > ;-)
                    > > Michael
                    >
                    >I am quite curious, can you say it again, in a more common way?

                    Let's see, how about:
                    Those strange new devices will never get off the ground.

                    Michael