VERY URGENT!!! Term: "na spad"

  • Lucie Formankova <formanl@cmail.cz>
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 19, 2002
      Hi everybody,

      this is really a very urgent query, because I have an express job
      that I have to turn in in the morning. If anybody's online tonight,
      I'd be glad for any help. After 1 am, you don't have to bother with
      it anymore.

      I'm translating a document written by a graphical designer,
      describing a number of documents created for his client. Among other
      highly specific terms, he frequently uses the phrase that something
      is positioned "na spad" (a decorative motive, photograph...).
      Sometimes he even uses the term "svisly na spad". I assume this has
      something to do with page layout, but I haven't found the term used
      anywhere, let alone translated into English. Is anyone, by any
      chance, familiar with it?

      Any suggestions highly welcome.

      Many thanks,

      Lucie
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 19, 2002
        Hi Lucie,

        > he frequently uses the phrase that something
        > is positioned "na spad" (a decorative motive,
        photograph...).

        Is text involved in the positioning? Could "descender" in
        the meaning defined at
        http://www.ars-logo-design.com/logo_design_D.htm be the key
        word?

        My technical dictionary puts ti as "dolni dotaznice" or
        "pismeno s dolnim dotahem" and if it fits your text, "na
        spad" is slang for the same. I may, however, be missing the
        target since I'm shooting blindfolded with my inexperience
        in the field.

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 19, 2002
          Hey,

          look at the bottom of
          http://www.dmms.cz/know/svetlo_a_barva.htm. Also at
          http://www.yachting-revue.cz/inzerce.htm,
          http://www.level.cz/inzerce.asp,
          http://www.economia.cz/economia/CenMM.pdf,
          http://mediatarif.istrategie.cz/cenik.asp?id=13752, and
          there are many more I have found now.

          I first thought the Czech spelling was with an acute accent
          over the a, but it's a "short" a, and I understand it's
          positioning with respect to subsequent cutting of the paper
          (medium) to the final size, leaving a blank margin for that
          operation.

          By the way, I would myself prefer "motif" to "motive" in
          this context.

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 19, 2002
            Dear Lucie:

            I think "image area" in the same glossary as I posted the
            first time,
            http://www.ars-logo-design.com/logo_design_I.htm, seems the
            most useful term that could be used somehow.

            Maybe "crop marks" (also "trim marks" or "register marks"),
            or "trim size" as at
            http://www.printusa.com/printing_glossary.htm, is the right
            thing to use though.

            Jirka Bolech
          • Beata Rodlingova <beatarodlingova@hotmai
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 19, 2002
              > highly specific terms, he frequently uses the phrase that something
              > is positioned "na spad" (a decorative motive, photograph...).

              Lucko,
              tenhle dotaz tady pred casem probehl: "obrazek na spad"
              >image with bleed, artwork with bleed area (kopiruji preklad Jamie Kirchnera)

              Zdravim
              Beata
            • Lucie Formankova <formanl@cmail.cz>
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 19, 2002
                Jirka,

                thanks for all your suggestions, I went through all of the pages but
                I didn't really know what would fit here because the text I'm
                translating doesn't really give any context or explanation.

                PS. I have used "motif" in the translation, sometimes I'm just
                thoughtless when I write quick messages. Sorry.

                Beata,

                thanks for searching the archives for me (or having remembered the
                relevant discussion). I guess I thought the term was so obscure that
                I didn't even bother with going through them first.

                Anyway, many many thanks to you both.

                Lucie

                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Beata Rodlingova

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 20, 2002
                  Err,

                  Not sure about translations myself, but I do know what na spad is (in the
                  context you gave): It means that the picture, box, or whatever does not have
                  any white paper on its outer edge, i.e. it goes all the way to the
                  left/right side of the page (it is actually printed sticking out and then
                  cut with the paper...)

                  Image with bleed (and I only know from commands in graphic programs) is
                  something similar applied to the way text (caption for that image etc.)
                  flows around the image, or where it goes below it (I think?)... unless I'm
                  totally wrong, it does not describe the position of the image on the page
                  itself (that it does not have any margin).

                  Can natives comment??

                  Matej

                  > > highly specific terms, he frequently uses the phrase that something
                  > > is positioned "na spad" (a decorative motive, photograph...).
                  >
                  > Lucko,
                  > tenhle dotaz tady pred casem probehl: "obrazek na spad"
                  > >image with bleed, artwork with bleed area (kopiruji preklad Jamie
                  Kirchnera)

                  > Zdravim
                  > Beata

                  > Czechlist resources:

                • Michael Grant
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 20, 2002
                    On 12/19/02 1:24 PM, "Lucie Formankova <formanl@...>"
                    <formanl@...> wrote:

                    > I'm translating a document written by a graphical designer,
                    > describing a number of documents created for his client. Among other
                    > highly specific terms, he frequently uses the phrase that something
                    > is positioned "na spad" (a decorative motive, photograph...).
                    > Sometimes he even uses the term "svisly na spad". I assume this has
                    > something to do with page layout, but I haven't found the term used
                    > anywhere, let alone translated into English. Is anyone, by any
                    > chance, familiar with it?

                    I'm sure this is too late, but doesn't "na spad" have to do with the
                    "gutter", the blank space at the center of the publication where the pages
                    are bound together? I may be way off base here, but that's what came to mind
                    when I read the term.

                    Michael

                    --
                    "You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you
                    might not get there."

                    - Yogi Berra
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 20, 2002
                      I think it has to do with the blank space on the opposite side - the one
                      without the spine, but technically it could be on the spine side as well
                      (see my previous message)....

                      Matej

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 20, 2002
                        I admit I was absolutely confused about this d**n word even after the
                        many kind suggestions I received from Jirka and Beata, but I vaguely
                        felt it might have had something to do with what Matej was suggesting.
                        So I (as usual with me in these cases) opted for circumvention, and
                        described the photo illustration as being "positioned on the upper
                        right-hand side of the page, with no margin". I know it sounds
                        absolutely lame and pathetic, please don't trash me too badly, but at
                        least it's not as if I used some quasi-expert term without having a
                        clue what it meant.

                        Thanx for the suggestions,

                        Lucie

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Jaroslav Hejzlar
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 20, 2002
                          Ahoj, Lucie!
                          Vytisknout obrazek "na spad" znamena, ze se tiskne vetsi plocha, nez ktera zustane po oriznuti stranky. To co se orizne, je anglicky "bleed". Krome "image with bleed (area)" lze takovy "obrazek na spad" prelozit napr. jako "bled off image". Samozrejme se tyto veci tykaji take orezovych znacek neboli "crop marks" ci "trim marks" a souvisi take s terminem "gutter bleed" (to je pripad, kdy obrazek castecne zasahuje i na protilehlou stranku). Nejlepe tyto veci v teto diskusni skupine zna asi Zdenek Mikan, ktery se ale zatim neozval, tak to cinim ja.
                          S pozdravem,
                          Jarda Hejzlar

                          Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com