Conflict of Laws Method

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 3, 2002
      Hi list,

      anyone has a suggestion for Czech translation of the above?

      metoda kolize/konfliktu zakonu
      metoda stretu pravnich norem

      both don't work on Google, I am told that this is a set expression...

      Thanks

      Matej

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 3, 2002
        kolize norem/stret zakonu = conflict of laws, as suggested by Millenium and
        70k+ Google hits.

        And I am pretty sure to have come across this several times as well in
        English contracts.

        HTH

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 3, 2002
          Sorry, I am typing faster than thinking :-)

          I guess there is in fact no other way of translating than what you suggest -
          I would try to avoid "metoda" and leave the rest - depends on context

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 3, 2002
            Ahoj Martine,

            I'm thinking slower than you're typing :)

            > guess there is in fact no other way of translating than what you suggest

            Co tim myslis??

            As for context, (for example):

            "Private international law has often demonstrated a setback of the conflict
            of law method in favour of the adoption of material rules, which are
            sometimes uncertain"

            BTW - this is a French to English original, so some of the sentence
            structure is somewhat off - I'm not sure I understand the logic behind this
            sentence (especially the "in favour part") even after reading it for 10
            times. Argh, the joys of EU documents.... (I'm sure it was translated by a
            native speaker, but that does not make it less awkward:)

            There obviously is something called "conflict of laws method" - yes,
            konflikt/kolize zakonu have plenty of hits, but metoda kolize zakolu etc.
            has none, any ideas?

            Diky

            Matej

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 3, 2002
              Aha, pardon. Tak v tom pripade: metoda *reseni* konfliktu...

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 3, 2002
                Hi Matej,

                > "Private international law has often demonstrated a
                setback of the conflict
                > of law method in favour of the adoption of material rules,
                which are
                > sometimes uncertain"

                As far as I can judge from what the "Anglicko-cesky
                ekonomicky slovnik" by Jiri Elman and Kamila Semberova
                shows, "private international law" and "conflict of Laws"
                are synonyms meaning "mezinarodni pravo soukrome"; I have
                found "kolize pravnich norem" for the latter in another
                source too. I am myself more puzzled by "material rules".
                Well, such legalese wasn't made to be understood by common
                folks.

                I don't think that the "method" is such a big deal to
                translate, but I doubt it's a fixed expression.

                > (especially the "in favour part") even after reading it
                for 10
                > times.

                Oh, this is the easy part I guess. "In favour of" is simply
                <"ve prospech" + genitive>.

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 3, 2002
                  Thanks Martin and Jirka,

                  Martin:

                  Aha, pardon. Tak v tom pripade: metoda *reseni* konfliktu...

                  Zajimavy napad, ale nemyslim, ze by se hodil na zbytek dokumentu, to by snad
                  rekli neco jako "method for solving conflict of law"?? No, jeste se pokusim
                  neco vymyslet....

                  Jirka:
                  "private international law" and "conflict of Laws"
                  > are synonyms meaning "mezinarodni pravo soukrome";

                  hmm, that does not make sense to me at all - I'm not a legal expert by any
                  means and yes, lawyers love to say theing we laymen won't understand, but
                  they can't possibly go this far?

                  I have
                  > found "kolize pravnich norem" for the latter in another
                  > source too.

                  My problem was to decide between "metoda kolize pravnich norem" and another
                  expression much to the same extent, I think it was "metoda konfliktu zakonu"
                  and combination thereof, since the English three word term is used in the
                  doc as naturally (and "we don't need to even hint at what this is") as one
                  would use something like "big brown envelope", plus I was told it was a
                  concrete method, I was trying to check which translation/Czech version might
                  be applicable, but obviously didn't chance uppon the widely-used (if there
                  is) one....

                  > > (especially the "in favour part") even after reading it
                  > for 10
                  > > times.
                  >
                  > Oh, this is the easy part I guess. "In favour of" is simply
                  > <"ve prospech" + genitive>.

                  Well, I don't have the slightest problem with in favour, I can assure you of
                  that, Jirka, I have a problem with fitting it into the (what I think is)
                  logic behind this particular sentence...... does it fit for you?

                  Thanks anyway

                  Matej

                  > Jirka Bolech

                  > Czechlist resources:

                • Michael Trittipo
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 3, 2002

                    >"Private international law has often demonstrated a setback of the conflict
                    >of law method in favour of the adoption of material rules, which are
                    >sometimes uncertain"
                    >
                    >BTW - this is a French to English original, so some of the sentence
                    >structure is somewhat off - I'm not sure I understand the logic behind this
                    >sentence (especially the "in favour part") . . ..

                    I don't envy you that one. Do you happen to have the French? I do
                    French-to-English besides Cz|Sk>Eng.

                    Usually, "a setback" would mean a loss of ground; that something which
                    was winning has lost, but perhaps only for the time being, i.e., an
                    eventual possible victory has only been delayed, not forever foreclosed.
                    But you're right; the flavour here is off, especially with the "often"
                    and "demonstrated" bits. (The "in favour of" doesn't bother me as much,
                    though it is one of the reasons for considering a second possible
                    meaning.) (The "material" here should clearly mean "substantive" -- v
                    podstate, nikoliv jenom formalni, ani jenom procesualni. So that's an
                    easy one.) So here's two possible versions of that sentence (anglicky):

                    The first assumes that "setback" has been chosen as a not-terribly-good
                    translation of something that ought to be more like "rejection" but as
                    having the flavor of one thing losing ground (or "market share" if you
                    will) in favour of another which is gaining ground (or becoming more
                    popular):

                    "Private international law has often seen rejection of the usual
                    application of conflict-of-law principles, and adoption in their place
                    of substantive rules, although* these latter are sometimes not [as]
                    definite [as some might desire][OR - "are sometimes not susceptible to
                    mechanical application]."

                    (The use of "and . . . in their place" replaces the "in favour of" --
                    "he rejected plan A in favour of plan B" means he rejected plan A and
                    did so because he found plan B to be better.) (As for "seen" versus
                    "demonstrated," that would be a relic of the original Fr>En process. It
                    would be wonderful if you could get your hands on a French original.)

                    The second assumes a different reason for wrongly using "setback" and it
                    assumes that "in favour of the adoption" was meant to modify "method" as
                    a prepositional phrase, NOT to be a coordinating clause:

                    "Private international law has often shown a disadvantage in applying
                    usual conflict-of-law principles that favour adoption of this or that
                    substantive rule, because the substantive rules themselves are sometimes
                    uncertain."

                    Maybe, having entire paragraphs before and after this sentence, you can
                    see which meaning fits logically with the overall flow of the author's
                    reasoning or exposition. Boy, would it help to have the French. But
                    without it, I can explain where each of the two possible meanings is
                    coming from. (There may be other possible meanings, too -- these are
                    the first two that come to mind as most likely, but I'm open to good
                    suggestions.)

                    The first meaning is based on the idea that the parties can decide in
                    their own contracts what law will govern their dealings in what
                    respects. The first meaning would then be commenting on a supposed
                    trend by the parties (presumably, for this meaning, fairly large,
                    sophisticated contracting entities) to NOT simply say "Angolan law" or
                    "Fijian law", and to go beyond that to try, themselves, to write up the
                    substantive rules that should be applied. Of course, doing that would
                    be VERY difficult, probably even impossible to do completely -- and even
                    the most sophisticated or capable parties and lawyers might not succeed
                    in getting the rules expressed very clearly. Alternatively, the first
                    meaning could be about courts and judges trying to reject being forced
                    simply to choose between country A's law or country B's, and trying to
                    start creating a kind of "common law of international dealings" without
                    reference to EITHER country A or B. (It's the uncertainty between who's
                    doing the rejecting or setting back, that led me to choose the passive
                    voice.)

                    The second meaning is based on an appreciation of the fact that the
                    classic statements of conflict-of-laws (choice-of-laws, if you will)
                    principles can lead to odd circles of reasoning or paradoxes, ESPECIALLY
                    if jurisdictions A & B each make the choice of law depend on whether a
                    given issue is substantive or procedural, BUT each of the jurisdictions
                    has a DIFFERENT classification about whether THAT PARTICULAR issue is
                    substantive or not, or procedural or not. With 50 independent countries
                    federated into one in the United States, this kind of issue over
                    conflict of laws (private inter-state law or private international law,
                    if you will) has arisen thousands of times, so pretty much all possible
                    approaches have been tried. You DON'T want a catalogue of them. <grin>
                    But at least one approach is to try to set up a few substantive rules
                    for recurring kinds of cases, somehow outside of any particular state's
                    substantive rules.

                    Don't know whether this helps. If you can find the French, that would
                    be wonderful.
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 3, 2002
                      Hi Michael, thanks for the time you took,

                      Here's the French version not that far from English AFAICT:

                      On constate souvent, en droit international prive, un recul de la methode
                      conflictualiste au profit de regles materielles dont le contenu parait
                      pafois bien incertain.

                      Sorry, no energy left to do the accents, but there's not many of them...

                      Don't spend too much time on this, I'm mostly concerned about the method
                      thing.

                      Was it me who said that he would not touch EU stuff with a bargepole only a
                      year ago??? Now I'm in the middle of correcting two completely f**ed-up
                      translations [of un-english originals too].... ach jo.

                      Thanks again,
                      Matej

> [...]
                      > if jurisdictions A & B each make the choice of law depend on whether a
                      > given issue is substantive or procedural, BUT each of the jurisdictions
                      > has a DIFFERENT classification about whether THAT PARTICULAR issue is
                      > substantive or not, or procedural or not. With 50 independent countries
                      > federated into one in the United States, this kind of issue over
                      > conflict of laws (private inter-state law or private international law,
                      > if you will) has arisen thousands of times, so pretty much all possible
                      > approaches have been tried. You DON'T want a catalogue of them. <grin>
                      > But at least one approach is to try to set up a few substantive rules
                      > for recurring kinds of cases, somehow outside of any particular state's
                      > substantive rules.
                      >
                      > Don't know whether this helps. If you can find the French, that would

                    • Michael
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 3, 2002
                        << On constate souvent, en droit international prive, un recul de la
                        methode conflictualiste au profit de regles materielles dont le
                        contenu parait pafois bien incertain. >>

                        Thanks! That helps. Instead of the version you had:

                        "Private international law has often demonstrated a setback of the
                        conflict of law method in favour of the adoption of material rules,
                        which are sometimes uncertain"

                        I might try something more like the following in English (patience --
                        I'll do something stupid and try going into Czech instead of just out
                        of it in a minute):

                        "It is often noted in regard to private international law that the
                        conflict-resolving method is becoming less used, its place being
                        taken by substantive rules whose content seems sometimes quite
                        uncertain."

                        or even

                        "It is often noted that the trend in private international law is
                        away from mechanical choice-of-law rules and towards substantive
                        rules whose content seems sometimes uncertain."

                        The "méthode conflictualiste" is simply an approach or procedure (I
                        wouldn't get hung up on the word "method") for choosing between two
                        sets of substantive (i.e., non-choice-of-law) rules, if and when
                        there is a conflict between two (or more) possibly applicable laws.

                        So "kolizni metoda" should be OK; or "kolizni normy" or "zpusob
                        urcovani rozhodneho prava"? Something built around "Urcovani
                        rozhodneho prava pomoci koliznich norem ustupuje, zatimco pouziti
                        [primych] hmotnepravnich pravidel vzrusta"?

                        From that approach, it sounds more as though the kind of thing the
                        author is talking about is, for example, the Vienna Convention, which
                        starts creating some substantive rules of sales law directly, rather
                        than just setting up rules for how to choose which country's sales
                        law will apply. So you can ignore all my previous nonsense, guessing
                        on the basis of bad English. My money now is on the author drawing a
                        distinction here between the old ways premised on lex fori, lex loci
                        delicti, lex contractus, atd., and new ways based on treaties that
                        actually try to create substantive rules, not just rules for choosing
                        between someone *else's* sets of substantive rules.
                      • Michael
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 3, 2002
                          --- In Czechlist@y..., "Michael" <tritt002@t...> wrote:
                          > << On constate . . . en droit international prive, un recul de la
                          > methode conflictualiste au profit de regles materielles dont le
                          > contenu parait pafois bien incertain. >>

                          > "It is often noted that the trend in private international law is
                          > away from mechanical choice-of-law rules and towards substantive
                          > rules whose content seems sometimes uncertain."
                          >
                          > . . . "Urcovani
                          > rozhodneho prava pomoci koliznich norem ustupuje, zatimco pouziti
                          > [primych] hmotnepravnich pravidel vzrusta"?

                          Sorry, pouzivani, not pouziti. Also, I noticed the following
                          discussion while rooting around -- note the last three lines ***:

                          "Otázka kolize poøadí je øešena v §2 ZMPS – ustanovení tohoto zákona
                          se použije jen pokud nestanoví nìco jiného mezinárodní smlouva,
                          kterou je ÈR vázána. Stejná ustanovení mají také ZRØ a obch. zák.
                          (§756)

                          Na základì §2 ZMPS se nepoužije ustanovení tohoto zákona nejen,
                          jestliže . . . mezinárodní smlouvou ***jsou pro úpravu dané otázky
                          stanoveny hmotnìprávní pøímé normy, tzn. v dùsledku pøímé úpravy
                          odpadá vùbec používání kolizních norem***"

                          That *** bit sounds as though it's talking about the same thing the
                          French is.
                        • Michael
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 3, 2002
                            > >"private international law" and "conflict of Laws"
                            > >are synonyms meaning "mezinarodni pravo soukrome";
                            >hmm, that does not make sense to me at all . . ..

                            Prave v tom je smysl toho, co napsal puvodni autor, jestli se
                            nemylim. Mezinarodni pravo soukrome je to mezinarodni pravo, co ne
                            patri mezinarodnim pravu verjenem. Az dosud, mezinarodni pravo
                            soukrome nebylo skoro nic jineho nez soubor koliznich norem: normy
                            cim se resila problematika volby rozhodneho prava. Ale -- podle
                            autora a musim priznat i v skutecosti -- uz nekolik desitky let se
                            objevuje novy system, tak ze mezinarodni pravo soukrome uz obsahuje
                            nejen kolizni normy, ale taky (ackoliv jenom dosud v nekolika
                            omezenych oblastech) prima hmotnepravna pravidla. Podle autora
                            puvodniho dokumentu, pouzivani primych hmotnepravnych pravidla bude
                            cim dal, tim vic nahradit soucasny system pouzivani koliznich norem.
                            Priklad je Videnska umluva o koupe zbozi. Tak ze ty dve vyrazy byly
                            synonymy, ale ted uz nejsou docela.

                            No, aspon takhle si to predstavim podle te jedne vety, co jsme
                            cetli. Ale errare humanum est. :-)
                          • jorix24
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 3, 2002
                              Zdravim,
                              navstevuji ted doplnujici pravnicke studium pro prekladatele a
                              tlumocniky pri prav. fakulte v Praze a tam nam dusledne tvrdi,
                              ze "Conflict of laws" je opravdu "mezinarodni pravo soukrome". Takze
                              bych se osobne priklanela k tomuto prekladu. Co se tyce tech methods,
                              tak asi "metody mezinarodniho prava soukromeho", pripadne ze
                              by "metodika"?
                              Jana Louvarova

                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 4, 2002
                                Michael, I think you'd deserve the money I'm supposed to pay the person who
                                did the original (and very poor) translation.....

                                I don't have enough legal expertise to deal with this myself, but I fw'd it
                                to people who can.

                                Thanks

                                Matej

                                > > >"private international law" and "conflict of Laws"
                                > > >are synonyms meaning "mezinarodni pravo soukrome";
                                > >hmm, that does not make sense to me at all . . ..
                                >
                                > Prave v tom je smysl toho, co napsal puvodni autor, jestli se
                                > nemylim. Mezinarodni pravo soukrome je to mezinarodni pravo, co ne
                                > patri mezinarodnim pravu verjenem. Az dosud, mezinarodni pravo
                                > soukrome nebylo skoro nic jineho nez soubor koliznich norem: normy
                                > cim se resila problematika volby rozhodneho prava. Ale -- podle
                                > autora a musim priznat i v skutecosti -- uz nekolik desitky let se
                                > objevuje novy system, tak ze mezinarodni pravo soukrome uz obsahuje
                                > nejen kolizni normy, ale taky (ackoliv jenom dosud v nekolika
                                > omezenych oblastech) prima hmotnepravna pravidla. Podle autora
                                > puvodniho dokumentu, pouzivani primych hmotnepravnych pravidla bude
                                > cim dal, tim vic nahradit soucasny system pouzivani koliznich norem.
                                > Priklad je Videnska umluva o koupe zbozi. Tak ze ty dve vyrazy byly
                                > synonymy, ale ted uz nejsou docela.
                                >
                                > No, aspon takhle si to predstavim podle te jedne vety, co jsme
                                > cetli. Ale errare humanum est. :-)

                                > Czechlist resources:

                              • Michael Trittipo
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 4, 2002
                                  jorix24 wrote:

                                  >navstevuji ted doplnujici pravnicke studium pro prekladatele a
                                  >tlumocniky pri prav. fakulte v Praze a tam nam dusledne tvrdi,
                                  >ze "Conflict of laws" je opravdu "mezinarodni pravo soukrome".

                                  S tim bych souhlasil, do té (velmi velké) míry, že zdaleka největší část
                                  mezinárodního práva soúkromého je totožné s tou oblástí, kterou v
                                  angličtině má název conflict of laws. Jenomže vždycky jsou výjimky. (No,
                                  *skoro* vždycky bývají <úsměv>)

                                  Podle http://www.ekf.vsb.cz/KAT/K119/predmety/11907.doc, zdá se, že
                                  teoretičtí práva začínají rozlišovat mezi obvyklým používáním kolizních
                                  metod, i používáním přímého řešení několika otázek prostředníctvím úmluv
                                  atd. V tom, co nasleduje, citují jenom nejvýznamnější věty; věta v ***
                                  bych označil jako výjímkou oproti obvýklé kolizní metodě, pravě protože
                                  tímto přímým řešením podle úmluvy se žadná kolize ani střet neobjevuje
                                  mezi pouze státními normami:

                                  "Osnova předmětu:
                                  # Mezinárodní právo soukromé, kolizní normy, volba práva, principy
                                  mezinárodního práva soukromého.
                                  # Volba práva, kolizní problematika, určování rozhodného práva v
                                  souvislosti s konkrétním smluvním vztahem.
                                  *** # Přímé normy mezinárodního práva soukromého. ***
                                  # Vídeňská úmluva OSN o smlouvách o mezinárodní koupi zboží, New Yorská
                                  úmluva o promlčení v souvislosti s mezinárodní koupi zboží.
                                  # Standardizovaná pravidla - standardizované smluvní podmínky (doložky
                                  dodání INCOTERMS a d.)."

                                  Viz taky http://www.law.muni.cz/katedry/22170.html
                                  "Cílem kursu je seznámit studenty se základními koncepcemi práva
                                  mezinárodního obchodu (tradiční koncepce, koncepce lex mercatoria)" ---
                                  řekl bych, že lex mercatoria je právě to, co Vídeňská úmluva začíná
                                  tvořit, bez používání tradiční kolizní metody nebo kolizních norem.
                                  a taky, u stejné stránky:
                                  " Cílem tohoto základního kursu je seznámit studenty s následující
                                  problematikou . . ..V rámci předmětu jsou rozebrány následující otázky:
                                  prameny mezinárodního práva soukromého (mezinárodní smlouvy, normy
                                  vnitrostátní povahy), metody mezinárodního práva soukromého (zejména
                                  kolizní ***a přímá***)"
                                  --- kde zase v těch posledních třech slovech vidíme rozlišování mezi
                                  kolizní metodou i přímou, nebo mezi používání kolizních norem i přímých.

                                  Asi jsem se špatně vyjadřil a je více než zřejmé, proč překladám jenom
                                  do angličtiny a nikdy v opačném směru. Ale mám dojem, že tento rozdíl je
                                  tímhle, oč autor původního dokumentu se snažil mluvit.
                                • Michael Trittipo
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 4, 2002
                                    Michael Trittipo wrote:

                                    >. . . největší část
                                    >mezinárodního práva soúkromého je totožn<-é-><+á+> s tou oblástí, kter<-ou-><+á+> v
                                    >angličtině má název . . ..

                                    :-(