Re: Term: snaset lek

  • coilin_oconnor
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
      --- In Czechlist@y..., "Kostas Zgafas" <kzgafas@t...> wrote:
      > Thank you all for your help. I was also thinking of: "patients
      tolerated the
      > drug well"; however, I do not like very much this sentence to be
      in the
      > scientific paper I am translating. Although - I will have to use
      it, if I
      > don't find anything better.
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > Kostas

      Hi there,

      I think this sentence is fine and understandable, but I have a
      feeling that English-speaking doctors would say something
      like "patients' tolerance of the drug was high". In this
      context, "tolerance" and "high" sound more natural to me
      than "tolerate" and "well" but I couldn't for the life of me tell
      you why :-))
      Best regards
      Coilin
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
        Kostas wrote:

        > "patients tolerated the drug well"

        Coilin followed up with:

        > "patients' tolerance of the drug was high". In this

        It occurred to me that I would change Kosta's sentence to
        passive voice: "the drug was tolerated by pateints". It even
        seems to me adverb of manner (well or highly) is not
        necessary. It will be better to use or utilize a native
        speaker's (Coilin's) suggestion though.