Re: [Czechlist] Re: Term: snaset lek

  • Kostas Zgafas
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
      Thank you all for your help. I was also thinking of: "patients tolerated the
      drug well"; however, I do not like very much this sentence to be in the
      scientific paper I am translating. Although - I will have to use it, if I
      don't find anything better.

      Thank you,

      Kostas

      > << I think the word "tolerate" is used with medication -- "The patients
      > tolerated the medication very well." ??
      > >>

      > Bingo. That's exactly what doctors say.

      > Czechlist resources:

    • coilin_oconnor
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
        --- In Czechlist@y..., "Kostas Zgafas" <kzgafas@t...> wrote:
        > Thank you all for your help. I was also thinking of: "patients
        tolerated the
        > drug well"; however, I do not like very much this sentence to be
        in the
        > scientific paper I am translating. Although - I will have to use
        it, if I
        > don't find anything better.
        >
        > Thank you,
        >
        > Kostas

        Hi there,

        I think this sentence is fine and understandable, but I have a
        feeling that English-speaking doctors would say something
        like "patients' tolerance of the drug was high". In this
        context, "tolerance" and "high" sound more natural to me
        than "tolerate" and "well" but I couldn't for the life of me tell
        you why :-))
        Best regards
        Coilin
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
          Kostas wrote:

          > "patients tolerated the drug well"

          Coilin followed up with:

          > "patients' tolerance of the drug was high". In this

          It occurred to me that I would change Kosta's sentence to
          passive voice: "the drug was tolerated by pateints". It even
          seems to me adverb of manner (well or highly) is not
          necessary. It will be better to use or utilize a native
          speaker's (Coilin's) suggestion though.