Re: [Czechlist] Re: Term: snaset lek

  • Zemedelec@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
      In a message dated 2/12/2002 15:07:14, meluzinax@... writes:

      << I think the word "tolerate" is used with medication -- "The patients
      tolerated the medication very well." ??

      Bingo. That's exactly what doctors say.
    • Kostas Zgafas
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
        Thank you all for your help. I was also thinking of: "patients tolerated the
        drug well"; however, I do not like very much this sentence to be in the
        scientific paper I am translating. Although - I will have to use it, if I
        don't find anything better.

        Thank you,

        Kostas

        > << I think the word "tolerate" is used with medication -- "The patients
        > tolerated the medication very well." ??
        > >>

        > Bingo. That's exactly what doctors say.

        > Czechlist resources:

      • coilin_oconnor
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
          --- In Czechlist@y..., "Kostas Zgafas" <kzgafas@t...> wrote:
          > Thank you all for your help. I was also thinking of: "patients
          tolerated the
          > drug well"; however, I do not like very much this sentence to be
          in the
          > scientific paper I am translating. Although - I will have to use
          it, if I
          > don't find anything better.
          >
          > Thank you,
          >
          > Kostas

          Hi there,

          I think this sentence is fine and understandable, but I have a
          feeling that English-speaking doctors would say something
          like "patients' tolerance of the drug was high". In this
          context, "tolerance" and "high" sound more natural to me
          than "tolerate" and "well" but I couldn't for the life of me tell
          you why :-))
          Best regards
          Coilin
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
            Kostas wrote:

            > "patients tolerated the drug well"

            Coilin followed up with:

            > "patients' tolerance of the drug was high". In this

            It occurred to me that I would change Kosta's sentence to
            passive voice: "the drug was tolerated by pateints". It even
            seems to me adverb of manner (well or highly) is not
            necessary. It will be better to use or utilize a native
            speaker's (Coilin's) suggestion though.