Re: Term: snaset lek

  • Veronika
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
      I think the word "tolerate" is used with medication -- "The patients
      tolerated the medication very well." ??

      Veronika

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
        Hi Kosta,

        The following are strings found in my medical TM (the database is "En to
        Cz", i.e. the strings were coined by - probably - native speakers)
        acceptability of treatments in patient
        well tolerated across a wide spectrum of patients
        Physiotens has been generally well tolerated by patients,

        HTH

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
          In a message dated 2/12/2002 15:07:14, meluzinax@... writes:

          << I think the word "tolerate" is used with medication -- "The patients
          tolerated the medication very well." ??

          Bingo. That's exactly what doctors say.
        • Kostas Zgafas
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
            Thank you all for your help. I was also thinking of: "patients tolerated the
            drug well"; however, I do not like very much this sentence to be in the
            scientific paper I am translating. Although - I will have to use it, if I
            don't find anything better.

            Thank you,

            Kostas

            > << I think the word "tolerate" is used with medication -- "The patients
            > tolerated the medication very well." ??
            > >>

            > Bingo. That's exactly what doctors say.

            > Czechlist resources:

          • coilin_oconnor
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
              --- In Czechlist@y..., "Kostas Zgafas" <kzgafas@t...> wrote:
              > Thank you all for your help. I was also thinking of: "patients
              tolerated the
              > drug well"; however, I do not like very much this sentence to be
              in the
              > scientific paper I am translating. Although - I will have to use
              it, if I
              > don't find anything better.
              >
              > Thank you,
              >
              > Kostas

              Hi there,

              I think this sentence is fine and understandable, but I have a
              feeling that English-speaking doctors would say something
              like "patients' tolerance of the drug was high". In this
              context, "tolerance" and "high" sound more natural to me
              than "tolerate" and "well" but I couldn't for the life of me tell
              you why :-))
              Best regards
              Coilin
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
                Kostas wrote:

                > "patients tolerated the drug well"

                Coilin followed up with:

                > "patients' tolerance of the drug was high". In this

                It occurred to me that I would change Kosta's sentence to
                passive voice: "the drug was tolerated by pateints". It even
                seems to me adverb of manner (well or highly) is not
                necessary. It will be better to use or utilize a native
                speaker's (Coilin's) suggestion though.