Re: [Czechlist] Term: snaset lek

  • Kostas Zgafas
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
      How yould you say:

      "pacienti snaseli lek velmi dobre" ?

      I can't come up with any good phrase.

      Thank you,

      Kostas
    • Veronika
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
        I think the word "tolerate" is used with medication -- "The patients
        tolerated the medication very well." ??

        Veronika

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
          Hi Kosta,

          The following are strings found in my medical TM (the database is "En to
          Cz", i.e. the strings were coined by - probably - native speakers)
          acceptability of treatments in patient
          well tolerated across a wide spectrum of patients
          Physiotens has been generally well tolerated by patients,

          HTH

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
            In a message dated 2/12/2002 15:07:14, meluzinax@... writes:

            << I think the word "tolerate" is used with medication -- "The patients
            tolerated the medication very well." ??

            Bingo. That's exactly what doctors say.
          • Kostas Zgafas
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
              Thank you all for your help. I was also thinking of: "patients tolerated the
              drug well"; however, I do not like very much this sentence to be in the
              scientific paper I am translating. Although - I will have to use it, if I
              don't find anything better.

              Thank you,

              Kostas

              > << I think the word "tolerate" is used with medication -- "The patients
              > tolerated the medication very well." ??
              > >>

              > Bingo. That's exactly what doctors say.

              > Czechlist resources:

            • coilin_oconnor
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
                --- In Czechlist@y..., "Kostas Zgafas" <kzgafas@t...> wrote:
                > Thank you all for your help. I was also thinking of: "patients
                tolerated the
                > drug well"; however, I do not like very much this sentence to be
                in the
                > scientific paper I am translating. Although - I will have to use
                it, if I
                > don't find anything better.
                >
                > Thank you,
                >
                > Kostas

                Hi there,

                I think this sentence is fine and understandable, but I have a
                feeling that English-speaking doctors would say something
                like "patients' tolerance of the drug was high". In this
                context, "tolerance" and "high" sound more natural to me
                than "tolerate" and "well" but I couldn't for the life of me tell
                you why :-))
                Best regards
                Coilin
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
                  Kostas wrote:

                  > "patients tolerated the drug well"

                  Coilin followed up with:

                  > "patients' tolerance of the drug was high". In this

                  It occurred to me that I would change Kosta's sentence to
                  passive voice: "the drug was tolerated by pateints". It even
                  seems to me adverb of manner (well or highly) is not
                  necessary. It will be better to use or utilize a native
                  speaker's (Coilin's) suggestion though.