Re: [Czechlist] Problems with Seznam

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2002
      In a message dated 11/8/02 6:02:57 AM, martinjanda@... writes:

      >The person has probably used Czech nat. chars in the name of the doc which
      >some servers (usually the obsolete ones, such as Seznam) sometimes mess
      >up this way. IMHO, Seznam sucks as a mail server.

      Oh, yeah! I remember that years ago Czech characters used to arrive in my
      e-mail as codes like "=E6", etc. I even had a macro to convert them after I
      pasted the messages into Word. Wow! The nostalgia days of six years ago. A
      lifetime in Internet terms.

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2002
        Hi Jamie,

        > And why attachments come as text files that nothing will
        open and have names
        > like this?
        >
        > =?iso-8859-2?Q?SVATBA=2Edoc?=

        I have the same problem with mail from other systems as
        well. I was even wondering whether something had gone wrong
        with my computer as this did not start happening to me until
        quite recently.

        I don't mind strange subjects, but unopenable attachments
        are a pain. My manual solution: in Outlook Express get a
        view of the message source (pressing ALT-Enter, Details
        flap, Message Source button), copy the encoded section into
        the clipboard (marking the section and pressing CTRL-C),
        paste in a word processor (CTRL-V), save with b64 extension,
        open the new file using Winzip to decode.

        The base64-encoded section is delimited with strings that
        are nearly identical, for example

        --nqp=nb64=()B7fZp5Tm1

        at the beginning, and

        --nqp=nb64=()B7fZp5Tm1--

        at the end. These delimiters must be included in the file
        you're creating. There may be multiple attachments and you
        can put them all in one file as they are; Winzip will cope.
        What, however, may cause problems to Winzip is strange
        filenames that are contained in a header right after the
        initial delimiting string. Just edit them manualy. From your

        =?iso-8859-2?Q?SVATBA=2Edoc?=

        I would make

        SVATBA.DOC

        The filename is there twice in two separate lines:
        Content-Type and Content-Disposition. I always edit both in
        the same manner.

        Although I'm giving specific software examples, the
        procedure should work analogously with other programs and on
        other system platforms.