Re: [Czechlist] Problems with Seznam

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2002
      The person has probably used Czech nat. chars in the name of the doc which
      some servers (usually the obsolete ones, such as Seznam) sometimes mess up
      this way. IMHO, Seznam sucks as a mail server.

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2002
        In a message dated 11/8/02 6:02:57 AM, martinjanda@... writes:

        >The person has probably used Czech nat. chars in the name of the doc which
        >some servers (usually the obsolete ones, such as Seznam) sometimes mess
        >up this way. IMHO, Seznam sucks as a mail server.

        Oh, yeah! I remember that years ago Czech characters used to arrive in my
        e-mail as codes like "=E6", etc. I even had a macro to convert them after I
        pasted the messages into Word. Wow! The nostalgia days of six years ago. A
        lifetime in Internet terms.

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2002
          Hi Jamie,

          > And why attachments come as text files that nothing will
          open and have names
          > like this?
          >
          > =?iso-8859-2?Q?SVATBA=2Edoc?=

          I have the same problem with mail from other systems as
          well. I was even wondering whether something had gone wrong
          with my computer as this did not start happening to me until
          quite recently.

          I don't mind strange subjects, but unopenable attachments
          are a pain. My manual solution: in Outlook Express get a
          view of the message source (pressing ALT-Enter, Details
          flap, Message Source button), copy the encoded section into
          the clipboard (marking the section and pressing CTRL-C),
          paste in a word processor (CTRL-V), save with b64 extension,
          open the new file using Winzip to decode.

          The base64-encoded section is delimited with strings that
          are nearly identical, for example

          --nqp=nb64=()B7fZp5Tm1

          at the beginning, and

          --nqp=nb64=()B7fZp5Tm1--

          at the end. These delimiters must be included in the file
          you're creating. There may be multiple attachments and you
          can put them all in one file as they are; Winzip will cope.
          What, however, may cause problems to Winzip is strange
          filenames that are contained in a header right after the
          initial delimiting string. Just edit them manualy. From your

          =?iso-8859-2?Q?SVATBA=2Edoc?=

          I would make

          SVATBA.DOC

          The filename is there twice in two separate lines:
          Content-Type and Content-Disposition. I always edit both in
          the same manner.

          Although I'm giving specific software examples, the
          procedure should work analogously with other programs and on
          other system platforms.