Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [Czechlist] Photoengraving and photogravure

Expand Messages
  • Dusan Papousek
    Hello Beata, I was waiting for a couple of days hoping that somebody will send his contribution. I must admit that I did not quite understand your message
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2002
    • 0 Attachment
      Hello Beata,
      I was waiting for a couple of days hoping that somebody will send his
      contribution. I must admit that I did not quite understand your message
      except one thing, i.e. you seem to know more about this problem than I do. I
      propose the following: I will try to contact people who are teaching
      typography and photophysics at a university level and have good knowledge of
      English and ask them for help. They may not be better than you are but let's
      see. I will keep you informed.

      D. P.

      Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 11:35:35 -0000
      From: "Beata Rodlingova" <beatarodlingova@...>
      Subject: Re: photoengraving

      Hello Dusan

      I am glad somebody is out there to discuss these terms and get them right.
      I do not want to get things too complicated but I am afraid you are
      confusing terms which are not on the same level.

      There are basically three ways of printing: 'tisk z hloubky / intaglio',
      'tisk z plochy' and 'tisk z vysky / block printing, relief printing'. These
      general terms refer to the parts of the printing plate / printing block from
      which ink is transmitted to the sheet, i.e. in 'tisk z hloubky' the ink is
      below the level of the surface of the actual plate, which is wiped clean
      before printing, while in 'tisk z vysky' ink is on the parts left above the
      level of the block.
      'Tisk z plochy' are those techniques where ink and non-ink parts of the
      block are on the same level, thanks to, for example, a stencil as in
      silkscreen or different qualities of the block as in litography (water
      repellent parts of stone retain ink).

      Tisk z hloubky covers techniques such as lept / etching, sucha jehla /
      dry-point engraving, heliogravura / photoengraving (?) - photogravure can
      not be 'called hlubotisk' (which is a general term) but it is one of the
      many 'hlubotisk, that is intaglio techniques'.

      Tisk z vysky is for example drevorez/woodcut.

      Tisk z plochy covers sitotisk / silk screen, serigraphy, kamenotisk /
      litography and svetlotisk / collotypy.

      However, my limited knowledge of terminology only comes from what I learned
      while I was actually working with graphics, so if there is a reliable
      specialist dictionary, I shrug my shoulders and will not argue.

      Imagine what a valuable contribution to the archives it will be when we
      eventually get these terms right!

      Best regards

      --- In Czechlist@y..., "Dusan Papousek" <Papousek@m...> wrote:
      > I don't think that Beata is right this time. Photoengraving is simply
      > "svetlotisk" . It is 1. a process for acid-etching a photographic image on
      > metal relief printing plate 2. a plate produced by this process. Then
      > is "photogravure", which is an intaglio platemaking process using resin
      > granules instead of the usual screen. Photogravure is what is called "
      > hlubotisk".
      > The definitions of photoengraving and photogravure were taken from
      > Dictionary of Science and Technology , Academic Press, 1992. The old
      > Czech-English Technical Dictionary SNTL 1992 has "collotype" for
      > "svetlotisk" and "gravure printing, intaglio printing, photogravure" for
      > "hlubotisk" in the C>E version and "svetlotiskova barva" for
      > colour" in the E>C version. Elman's C>E Technical Dictionary has
      > "photogravure" for "hlubotisk" and "collotype, phototype" for
      > D. P.
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.