Re: [Czechlist] ISSUE: unknown mailing list

    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 2, 2002
      Open one of the attachments and you'll be spaming yourself....

      I know, only total morons do that, there must be lots of morons.......

      Matej

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 2, 2002
        Mirek Harold wrote:

        > As you can see at the bottom of my mail, I am using the
        latest edition of
        > AVG antivirus. Despite that, I get these spams at least
        twice a day. AVG
        > does not report viral infection. So it is a bug in mailing
        system.

        I use Norton Antivirus and it detected the bug at issue; I
        have also received it from Dusan Papusek's address. It
        couldn't repair or quarantine the attachment, it was only
        able to delete it permanently.

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 3, 2002
          Now Tomas Barendegt has the W32.Bugbear@mm bug, just got a message from him
          now - go to Symantec and get the fix!!!

          Matej

          > > As you can see at the bottom of my mail, I am using the
          > latest edition of
          > > AVG antivirus. Despite that, I get these spams at least
          > twice a day. AVG
          > > does not report viral infection. So it is a bug in mailing
          > system.
          >
          > I use Norton Antivirus and it detected the bug at issue; I
          > have also received it from Dusan Papusek's address. It
          > couldn't repair or quarantine the attachment, it was only
          > able to delete it permanently.
          >
          > Jirka Bolech

          > Czechlist resources:

        • Kostas Zgafas
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 3, 2002
            It is amazing which kind of messages those viruses are attached to:

            Vazeni uzivatele VOLNY,

            neradi Vas v prubehu kratke doby obesilame dalsi nevyzadanou zpravou,
            myslime si vsak, ze byste meli byt informovani o nejnovejsim vyvoji
            situace na ceskem internetu
          • jan stary
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 3, 2002
              Does anybody know the best term for the job many intellectuals held under the communist regime? In Czech: "topic". I've been struggling with this one for years and still can't get a satisfying answer. So, I thought we have so many smart ladies and gents here...:)
              Thanks! And sorry if this seems like a trivial question to some of you...maybe I am just an ignoramus?!
              Jan

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 3, 2002
                --- In Czechlist@y..., jan stary <janstary2002@y...> wrote:

                > Does anybody know the best term for the job many intellectuals held under=
                the communist regime? In Czech: "topic". I've been struggling with this one=
                for years and still can't get a satisfying answer. So, I thought we have so=
                many smart ladies and gents here...:)
                > Thanks! And sorry if this seems like a trivial question to some of you...=
                maybe I am just an ignoramus?!
                > Jan

                Hello Honza,

                What's wrong with "boilerman"? Oh very well then, "boilerperson".

                ... Jaroslav Velinsky - Czech writer born in 1932. <> he worked
                as a lathe operator, miner, arranger, boilerman, ...
                www.avalcon.cz/index.php3?pg=hoste&lang=pl

                1-2/2000 - English Summary
                ... In 1980-86 he worked as a boilerman in different Prague hotels. ... Vác=
                lav Malý
                www.dzeno.cz/Amarogendalos/1-2-00/esummarry.htm

                CTK Archive
                ... He performed some manual jobs (forest worker, boilerman, ambulance
                man). ... He was the Czech Interior Minister between 1992 and 1997

                Or what's wrong with "stoker" for that matter?

                ---
                Afrikaans: O God! Daar's 'n byl in my kop!
                Alsatian: Lever Gott! Es esch a Axe en miner Kopf!
                Arabic: Ya Allah! Be fass bi rassi!
                Assyrian: iliya pashum ina reshimi bashu
                Babylonian: iliya pashu ina reshiya bashu
                Basque: Jaungoikoa! Badut aizkor bat buruan!
                Czech: Pane boze! Mam sekeru v hlave!
                Egyptian, Ancient (Middle Kingdom): in Amun! iw minb m tp-i!
                Elet Anta: Ha inyano! Oan kascac inye cufanvay!
                Emoticon: k:-O
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 3, 2002
                  Speaking of that, do you know the trick to prevent these ugly creepies -
                  even if you get infected - from sending themselves out to all addresses they
                  find in your address list? Create a new address entry with name "!000"
                  (without the quotes), no e-mail adress, nothing. The bug starts with the
                  first entry of your address book, gets an error - as the address is not
                  valid - and stops.

                  > > As you can see at the bottom of my mail, I am using the
                  > latest edition of
                  > > AVG antivirus. Despite that, I get these spams at least
                  > twice a day. AVG
                  > > does not report viral infection. So it is a bug in mailing
                  > system.
                  >
                  > I use Norton Antivirus and it detected the bug at issue; I
                  > have also received it from Dusan Papusek's address. It
                  > couldn't repair or quarantine the attachment, it was only
                  > able to delete it permanently.
                  >
                  > Jirka Bolech

                  > Czechlist resources:

                  Czechlist resources:

                  Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

                • Michael Trittipo
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 3, 2002

                    >. . . trick to prevent these . . . from sending themselves out . . .? Create a new address entry with name "!000" (without the quotes), no e-mail adress, nothing. The bug starts with the first entry of your address book, gets an error - as the address is not valid - and stops.

                    Sorry, that doesn't work. It's a myth. Many of the critters have their
                    own SMTP ability. Nothing says they all go in alpha order through an
                    address book. Nothing says that they have to send one message addressed
                    to 1000 recipients, instead of 1000 messages each to one valid
                    recipient. Even if the former were true, which it's not (and which any
                    truly nasty virus-writer would make sure it's not), nothing says that
                    they obey any "oops, found a not valid one" rule of any particular mail
                    client. And in the more likely scenario of 1000 messages, each a
                    one-off, 999 of them validly addressed and only the !000 one not validly
                    addressed, there's neither (a) any mechanism by which an "sorry,
                    undeliverable" response to one message (or a "can't send -- invalid
                    address" message, if there's some reliance on an MTA external to the
                    virus itself) will stop the other 999, nor is there (b) any reason to
                    think that any such mechanism would act before the other 999
                    validly-addressed messages get sent.
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 4, 2002
                      Technically, not every topic is a boiler man, because not everything they
                      fire under is a boiler :) But I guess it will do for a romantinc account of
                      many of our velvet politicians' past........

                      Matej

                      > > Does anybody know the best term for the job many intellectuals held
                      under=
                      > the communist regime? In Czech: "topic". I've been struggling with this
                      one=
                      > for years and still can't get a satisfying answer. So, I thought we have
                      so=
                      > many smart ladies and gents here...:)
                      > > Thanks! And sorry if this seems like a trivial question to some of
                      you...=
                      > maybe I am just an ignoramus?!
                      > > Jan
                      > >

                      > Hello Honza,
                      >
                      > What's wrong with "boilerman"? Oh very well then, "boilerperson".
                      >
                      > ... Jaroslav Velinsky - Czech writer born in 1932. <> he worked
                      > as a lathe operator, miner, arranger, boilerman, ...
                      > www.avalcon.cz/index.php3?pg=hoste&lang=pl
                      >
                      > 1-2/2000 - English Summary
                      > ... In 1980-86 he worked as a boilerman in different Prague hotels. ...
                      Vác=
                      > lav Malý
                      > www.dzeno.cz/Amarogendalos/1-2-00/esummarry.htm
                      >
                      > CTK Archive
                      > ... He performed some manual jobs (forest worker, boilerman, ambulance
                      > man). ... He was the Czech Interior Minister between 1992 and 1997
                      >
                      > Or what's wrong with "stoker" for that matter?

                      > ---
                      > Afrikaans: O God! Daar's 'n byl in my kop!
                      > Alsatian: Lever Gott! Es esch a Axe en miner Kopf!
                      > Arabic: Ya Allah! Be fass bi rassi!
                      > Assyrian: iliya pashum ina reshimi bashu
                      > Babylonian: iliya pashu ina reshiya bashu
                      > Basque: Jaungoikoa! Badut aizkor bat buruan!
                      > Czech: Pane boze! Mam sekeru v hlave!
                      > Egyptian, Ancient (Middle Kingdom): in Amun! iw minb m tp-i!
                      > Elet Anta: Ha inyano! Oan kascac inye cufanvay!
                      > Emoticon: k:-O

                      > Czechlist resources:

                    • Kostas Zgafas
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 4, 2002
                        > > > Does anybody know the best term for the job many intellectuals held
                        > under=
                        > > the communist regime? In Czech: "topic". I've been struggling with this
                        > one=
                        > > for years and still can't get a satisfying answer.

                        I think a good translation might be "button-pushers":-) This is actually all
                        what you do when operating a gas, or electric boiler.
                        Also, it gives a long-term integrity to political resumes of many of them.

                        Kostas
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 7, 2002
                          --- In Czechlist@y..., "Matej Klimes" <mklimes@m...> wrote:
                          > Technically, not every topic is a boiler man, because not everything they fire under is a boiler :)

                          :) Does a frogman have to know anything about frogs?

                          I was a railman for years but I never actually touched a rail.

                          If you get your head stuck between railings and I have to call out the fire brigade to release you, are they likely to say: "Oh dear, can't touch him unless he's actually on fire, mate. I'm a fireman, you see."

                          Yes, my examples are frivolous but I put it to you that in words of the "***man" type, the *** does not necessarily have to have an immediate connection with the -man!

                          Or how about my other suggestion - stoker? Don't tell me, they don't all actually stoke as such. Some of them just press buttons. Can't win, can I?

                          M.
                        • lucinka_f
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 8, 2002
                            Most weird - I've been getting all of these e-mails you have been
                            talking about, from Dusan Papousek and Barendregt and many others...
                            they had no attachments, though! I don't know what to think - did
                            they get lost on the way to my computer or did it delete them?
                            Hmmmm....

                            Lucie

                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 8, 2002
                              They did have attachments - hidden ones though.... scr, pif... you know the
                              stuff