under reference

  • Petr Jarolím
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 2, 2002
      Dear all!

      Could you help me please? I am looking for the Czech translation of "under
      reference" in the following sentence.
      Does is stand for "specificky symbol" or "variabilni symbol"? Any
      suggestions will be appreciated.

      Thank you
      Hana

      Any amount due under this Loan will be repaid by the Borrower to the Bank in
      Czech Korunas (CZK) in immediately available funds on the account n° [to be
      completed] of the Bank, under reference [to be completed].
    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 2, 2002
        On 10/2/02 5:03 AM, "Petr Jarolím" <ok2med@...> wrote:

        > Could you help me please? I am looking for the Czech translation of "under
        > reference" in the following sentence.
        > Does is stand for "specificky symbol" or "variabilni symbol"? Any
        > suggestions will be appreciated.
        >
        > Thank you
        > Hana
        >
        > Any amount due under this Loan will be repaid by the Borrower to the Bank in
        > Czech Korunas (CZK) in immediately available funds on the account n° [to be
        > completed] of the Bank, under reference [to be completed].

        It's hard to say without asking the author, but most likely it would be a
        loan number or some similar identifier. In practice this will probably be
        the number you'd enter under "variabilni symbol" in filling out the
        paperwork, but the term might be a bit too specific for the translation. If
        that *is* what they mean, I'd expect to see the Czech expression in
        parentheses in the English document, since there's no exact equivalent in
        the banking systems of English-speaking countries. (Or at least of my
        English-speaking country.)

        Michael

        --
        The Arabic translation of 'Jolly Green Giant' means
        'Intimidating Green Ogre'.
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 2, 2002
          > Dear all!
          >
          > Could you help me please? I am looking for the Czech translation of "under
          > reference" in the following sentence.
          > Does is stand for "specificky symbol" or "variabilni symbol"? Any
          > suggestions will be appreciated.
          >
          > Thank you
          > Hana
          >
          > Any amount due under this Loan will be repaid by the Borrower to the Bank
          in
          > Czech Korunas (CZK) in immediately available funds on the account n° [to
          be
          > completed] of the Bank, under reference [to be completed].

          I hate making suggestions without much context, but it looks to me that the
          reference is probably going to be some sort of reference number (cislo
          jednaci) for the the transaction in question. Would "pod c.j." be too
          slavish a rendering? Otherwise, I guess it is some sort of "variabilni
          symbol" as you yourself suggest.

          Best regards

          Coilin
        • martina.jakubova@email.cz
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 2, 2002
            I would say it depends on which bank we talking about. If it has anything to do with CS, then I would go for specificky symbol, otherwise I prefer variabilni symbol....

            Just a suggestion;-)

            Martina

            Nejširší nabídka PC komponent v ČR - http://www.levi.cz Neváhejte a srovnejte možnosti dnešního hardware.
          • Petr Jarolím
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 2, 2002
              Thanks for your suggestions, Michael, Coilin and Martina!

              The bank is CSOB. C.j. (cislo jednaci) does not fit the context, so I will
              probably go for "odpovidajici symbol" to cover both "specificky" and
              "variabilni" symbols.
              regards

              Hana

              > I would say it depends on which bank we talking about. If it has anything
              to do with CS, then I would go for specificky symbol, otherwise I prefer
              variabilni symbol....

              > Just a suggestion;-)
              >
              > Martina

              > Czechlist resources:

            • Helga Humlova
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 4, 2002
                Hi Vladimire,

                tak muj LEO (NJ-AJ) quite clearly tells me that "undershoot" means
                "unterschreiten" and my WinGed tells me that in Czech this means
                "nedosahovat" neboli zustat pod limitem".

                With other words, the company had certain economic goals which they because
                auf the recession in the US were not able to achieve.
                Nebo lamanou cestinou: firma nedocilela/nedosahla planovane vysledky s
                duvodu spatne ekonomicke situace v USA.

                H.

                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 4, 2002
                  Pomuze nekdo s prelozenim vety:
                  ".... was removed after the company undershooted the 2001 growth targets due
                  the US weakness."
                  hlavne to slovicko "undershoot", zadny vyznam z dostupnych slovniku mi tam
                  nesedi.

                  Dekuji

                  Vladimir Lopata

                  ---
                  Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 4, 2002
                    Tak to odhadni z kontextu. Stanovila si velke cile, a kdyz prisla recese,
                    tak je proste nesplnila, ne?

                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 4, 2002
                      To se mi libi !
                      Dekuji.

                      V.L.

                    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 4, 2002
                        In a message dated 10/4/02 3:18:56 AM, lopa@... writes:

                        >Pomuze nekdo s prelozenim vety:
                        >".... was removed after the company undershooted the 2001 growth targets
                        >due the US weakness."

                        How did they get the past tense as "undershooted"?! That's a five-year-old's
                        form! It should be "undershot".

                        Jamie
                      • Helga Humlova
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 4, 2002
                          BUT www.leo.org <http://www.leo.org/> still knows it - which means that
                          probably the German speaking population of this continent still uses it. :-)

                          I know we are a bit behind on the old continent..

                          Helga

                          >".... was removed after the company undershooted the 2001 growth targets
                          >due the US weakness."

                          How did they get the past tense as "undershooted"?! That's a
                          five-year-old's
                          form! It should be "undershot".

                          Czechlist resources:

                          Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

                          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                        • Vladimír Lopata
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 4, 2002
                            Received from the client YESTERDAY !
                            Maybe it was written 5 years ago and they decide to translate today :-)

                            Vladimir

                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 4, 2002
                              --- In Czechlist@y..., "Helga Humlova" <helga.humlova@c...> wrote:
                              > BUT www.leo.org <http://www.leo.org/> still knows it -

                              It told me: die Suche nach undershooted lieferte für die eingestellten Opti=
                              onen kein Ergebnis. I guess I just haven't got the hang of this advanced tec=
                              hnology.

                              --- In Czechlist@y..., Vladimír Lopata <lopa@o...> wrote:
                              > Received from the client YESTERDAY !
                              > Maybe it was written 5 years ago and they decide to translate today :=
                              -)

                              Reminds me of the old joke: you have the brain of a five-year-old and I bet=
                              he was glad to get rid of it.

                              M.
                            • Helga Humlova
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 4, 2002
                                Melvyn,
                                you are right, as always, I went back to this search and found I had entered
                                undershoot.
                                But anyway – Vladimir got a clue of what was meant and I again showed my
                                incompetence :-))
                                H.

                                It told me: die Suche nach undershooted lieferte für die eingestellten Opti=
                                onen kein Ergebnis. I guess I just haven't got the hang of this advanced
                                tec=
                                hnology.

                                --- In Czechlist@y..., Vladimír Lopata <lopa@o...> wrote:
                                > Received from the client YESTERDAY !
                                > Maybe it was written 5 years ago and they decide to translate today :=
                                -)

                                Reminds me of the old joke: you have the brain of a five-year-old and I bet=
                                he was glad to get rid of it.

                                M.

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233351.2428261.3848243.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=17050435
                                88:HM/A=1213956/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/grp/300_Cquo1/g22lp?Tar
                                get=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 4, 2002
                                  > > Received from the client YESTERDAY !
                                  > > Maybe it was written 5 years ago and they decide to translate today
                                  :=
                                  > -)
                                  >
                                  > Reminds me of the old joke: you have the brain of a five-year-old and I
                                  bet=
                                  > he was glad to get rid of it.
                                  >
                                  > M.

                                  Or, as they say in Dublin, "if he had brains he'd be dangerous"

                                  Tell the client that the person who wrote the orginal should be shooted :-)

                                  Hezky vikend

                                  Coilin
                                • Michael Grant
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 4, 2002
                                    On 10/4/02 5:18 AM, "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...> wrote:

                                    > Reminds me of the old joke: you have the brain of a five-year-old and I bet=
                                    >
                                    > he was glad to get rid of it.

                                    Is that anything like having the heart of a small child... in a jar on your
                                    desk?

                                    Bwahaha.
                                    Michael

                                    --
                                    "You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body."
                                    - C.S. Lewis
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 6, 2002
                                      Is that anything like having the heart of a small child... in a jar on your
                                      desk?
                                      Now this is disgusting

                                      --
                                      "You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body."
                                      - C.S. Lewis

                                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=229441.2397090.3822005.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=17050435
                                      88:HM/A=1189558/R=0/*http://www.bmgmusic.com/acq/ee/q6/enroll/mhn/9/>

                                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=229441.2397090.3822005.2225242/D=egroupmai
                                      l/S=:HM/A=1189558/rand=787855493>

                                      Czechlist resources:
                                      <http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/Intro.html>

                                      Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 7, 2002
                                        --- In Czechlist@y..., Gertrude Jicinska <gjicinska@c...> wrote:

                                        > Is that anything like having the heart of a small child... in a jar on your
                                        > desk?

                                        > Now this is disgusting

                                        Yes, good isn't it? :) Do you know any other amusing put-downs? Can anybody improve on "ses blbej jako pul kila tvarohu" or "ses blbej jak daleko vidis"?

                                        A prize for the most amusing and/or disgusting entry.

                                        Melvyn - lowering the tone again.
                                      • Rubková
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 7, 2002
                                          What about "ses blbej jako puc^tok"

                                          Sarka

                                          > Is that anything like having the heart of a small child... in a jar on
                                          your
                                          > desk?

                                          > Now this is disgusting

                                          Yes, good isn't it? :) Do you know any other amusing put-downs? Can anybody
                                          improve on "ses blbej jako pul kila tvarohu" or "ses blbej jak daleko
                                          vidis"?

                                          A prize for the most amusing and/or disgusting entry.

                                          Melvyn - lowering the tone again.

                                          Czechlist resources:

                                          Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

                                          ---
                                          Příchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.

                                          ---
                                          Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
                                        • Otto Pacholik
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Oct 9, 2002
                                            > What about "ses blbej jako puc^tok"

                                            A co je to take one puc^tok? Pouc nevedomeho ;-)

                                            Ahoj

                                            Otto
                                          • Rubková
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Oct 9, 2002
                                              Tohle uslovi znam jiz dlouho. Po delsim patrani jsme prisli na to, ze se
                                              tento termin nejspis tykal nejakeho predmetu ve stavarine (myslime si, ze to
                                              byl kbelik nebo kad na vapno, ale jestli je to vskutku tak, nevim.

                                              Sarka