Tunneling (building the things, not siphoning money) terms

    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 2, 2002
      Anyone familiar with tunnel structures??

      I'd appreciate at least an indication of what/where some of the terms
      exactly are, I've come accross similar ones before and usually managed to go
      around it using context and descriptions, but there's no context here, just
      a list of tasks/devices/values.....

      Thanks

      Matej

      3. KALOTY (plural)??

      5. POCVY(poc^vy, poc^va) - I think that's generally the bottom, or a limit
      (maybe the front end with tunnels) of an underground excavation???

      13. Celbový klín (C^elbovy') - celba should be the front, right?? so what
      would be pocva in the same tunnel?

      14. Rozsireni paty kaloty

      30. Max. vzdalenost celby jadra od celby kaloty

      31. Max. vzdálenost razby pocvy od celby jadra

      44. Osazování ramenatu (ramena'tu, u with a krouzek - what do we use for
      that in ASCII?)
    • Rubková
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 2, 2002
        Hi Matej,

        KALOTA = calotte
        pata kaloty = callote base

        Poc^va means "floor" of a tunnel

        c^elba = face, heading

        ramenát - rib, I hace also seen skeleton rib

        raz^ba = driving

        I hope it helps.

        Sarka

[...]

        Czechlist resources:

        Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

        ---
        Pøíchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.

        ---
        Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 3, 2002
          Diky, Sarko,

          Muzes mi prosim naznacit, co je ta kalota (jak vypada, kde je...), nerad
          pouzivam slova o kterych nevim, co znamenaji...

          Diky

          Matej

          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 3, 2002
            --- In Czechlist@y..., "Matej Klimes" <mklimes@m...> wrote:
            > Diky, Sarko,
            >
            > Muzes mi prosim naznacit, co je ta kalota (jak vypada, kde je...), nerad
            > pouzivam slova o kterych nevim, co znamenaji...

            Tebuh Mateji,

            Takzvana kalota je pristropni cast klenby tunelu razena po vyrazeni spodni a stropni stoly. Aspon je takto popsana v Akademickem slovniku cizich slov.

            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 3, 2002
              Zdar Buh Melvyne,

              (at least this was the mining greeting used in Ostrava - commies tried to
              replace it with Cest praci, but didn't succeed...)

              a dik,

              > Takzvana kalota je pristropni cast klenby tunelu razena po vyrazeni spodni
              a stropni stoly. Aspon je takto popsana v Akademickem slovniku cizich slov.

              To jsem blazen, if there's a spodni stola and a stropni stola (in my
              understanding the top hole and the bottom hole done first) and then the rest
              is taken away (the "in between bit"), then why would anyone scrape away at
              the very top bit again???

              From the sentence you quoted, Kalota could be the very top part of a vaulted
              tunnel ceiling, but why would they do it after doing the "stropni stola" and
              not as part of it??

              Any hints, Sarka?

              Matej
            • jrozek1997
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 3, 2002
                Hi there,

                > 3. KALOTY (plural)??
                "kalota" (=p^ri'stropi')is basically the top part of the tunnel
                excavation.
                > 5. POCVY(poc^vy, poc^va)
                pocva=dno tunelu, stoly, bottom

                > 13. Celbový klín (C^elbovy') - celba should be the front, right??
                so what
                > would be pocva in the same tunnel?
                celba = face (the front part of the excavation)
                "celbovy klin" could literally be a soil wedge left unexcavated in
                the middle of the calotte (sp?) to support the tunnel face while the
                face is being secured with anchors etc. Have you got a diagram or
                context ?

                Sorry for switching into Czech, but it will be easier (and faster)
                for me:
                Pokud se razi plnym vyrubem (full-face), tak je celba jedna svisla
                stena. Kdyz je tunel vetsi, tak by se neudrzela, proto se razi
                clenenym vyrubem (divided face?). Z tvych prikladu vidim, ze tady se
                asi cleni verikalne na tretiny, zj. na kalotu (horni tretina), jadro
                (prostredek)a pocvu (spodni tretina). Razi se v kazde tretine
                postupne, v podelnem rezu tedy vzniknou jakesi "schody"- celba kaloty
                je vyrazena nejdal a jako posledni se dobira pocva, neboli spodni
                lavka. Odtud vyplyvaji jejich vzdalenosti.
                > 14. Rozsireni paty kaloty
                >
                > 30. Max. vzdalenost celby jadra od celby kaloty
                >
                > 31. Max. vzdálenost razby pocvy od celby jadra

                Na teto adrese je trochu jine cleneni, ale terminy se daji pouzit:
                http://www.amberg.ch/amberg/uetlibergtunnel/e-index.htm

                > 44. Osazování ramenatu (ramena'tu, u with a krouzek - what do we
                use for
                > that in ASCII?)
                ramenat=dulni ocelovy vyztuzny oblouk="hajcman", that is, a steel arch

                Jan Rozek
              • jrozek1997
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 3, 2002
                  > Na teto adrese je trochu jine cleneni, ale terminy se daji pouzit:
                  > http://www.amberg.ch/amberg/uetlibergtunnel/e-index.htm
                  click on construction method
                • jrozek1997
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 3, 2002
                    I've just found a respectable source, according to which:
                    celbovy klin = face support wedge
                    kalota = crown
                    jadro = bench (jako "la'vka")
                    pocva = invert (tez protiklenba, jestli tam je)

                    Jan Rozek
                  • Rubková
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 3, 2002
                      Hi mates,

                      could you help to find correct English titles for the following jobs:

                      sme^novy' mistr - shift supervisor

                      skladní'k - stockkeeper or storekeeper ?

                      skladova'ni' - storage

                      stanice dobi'jeni' baterii' baterry charging station

                      pracovník stanice dobi'jení bateri' - baterry charging operator or attendant

                      etiketování - labelling

                      etiketovac^ - osoba, která etiketuje (labelman ? )

                      Thanks

                      Sarka
                      ---
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 3, 2002
                        Tak dobre bych to vysvetli neumela

                        Sarka

                        > Muzes mi prosim naznacit, co je ta kalota (jak vypada, kde je...), nerad
                        > pouzivam slova o kterych nevim, co znamenaji...

                        Tebuh Mateji,

                        Takzvana kalota je pristropni cast klenby tunelu razena po vyrazeni spodni a
                        stropni stoly. Aspon je takto popsana v Akademickem slovniku cizich slov.

                        Czechlist resources:

                        Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

                        ---
                        Příchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.

                        ---
                        Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 3, 2002
                          Thanks Jan,

                          Excellent explanations and resources, the text is theoretical (a sort of
                          inter-company standard) and the part I quoted from is just a list of things,
                          no context or diagrams, but I think I understand it with what you told me...

                          Thanks to Sarka as well - disregard the other message, it was written before
                          I read yours.....

                          Matej

                          > I've just found a respectable source, according to which:
                          > celbovy klin = face support wedge
                          > kalota = crown
                          > jadro = bench (jako "la'vka")
                          > pocva = invert (tez protiklenba, jestli tam je)
                          >
                          > Jan Rozek

                          > Czechlist resources:

                        • Michael Grant
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 3, 2002
                            On 10/3/02 7:54 AM, "Rubková" <rubkova@...> wrote:

                            > sme^novy' mistr - shift supervisor

                            How about 'foreman'?
                            Michael

                            --
                            The future will be better tomorrow.
                            - George W. Bush
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 3, 2002
                              In a message dated 10/3/02 8:49:47 AM, rubkova@... writes:

                              >sme^novy' mistr - shift supervisor

                              That sounds fine to me.

                              >skladní'k - stockkeeper or storekeeper ?

                              If it's a kid, we call him a "stockboy". If it could be a male or a female,
                              we might call him a "stock handler". If the person has more authority, I'd
                              say he'd probably be called a "stock manager".

                              >skladova'ni' - storage

                              That or warehousing.

                              >stanice dobi'jeni' baterii' baterry charging station

                              Sounds good to me.

                              >pracovník stanice dobi'jení bateri' - baterry charging operator or attendant

                              Sounds fine.

                              >etiketování - labelling

                              Yup!

                              >etiketovac^ - osoba, která etiketuje (labelman ? )

                              Maybe "labeler". That's not an established title. Just don't use "man" in
                              the word.

                              Jamie
                            • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 3, 2002
                                In a message dated 10/3/02 9:04:25 AM, transman@... writes:

                                >> sme^novy' mistr - shift supervisor
                                >
                                >How about 'foreman'?

                                One or the other would be fine, in my opinion. Especially now, in the days
                                when not all foremen are men.

                                Jamie
                              • Rubková
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 3, 2002
                                  Thanks Jamie and Michael for prompt answer.

                                  Sarka

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 3, 2002
                                    Matej,
                                    I donť know but I can ask in the evening, if necessary.

                                    Sarka

                                    (at least this was the mining greeting used in Ostrava - commies tried to
                                    replace it with Cest praci, but didn't succeed...)

                                    a dik,

                                    > Takzvana kalota je pristropni cast klenby tunelu razena po vyrazeni spodni
                                    a stropni stoly. Aspon je takto popsana v Akademickem slovniku cizich slov.

                                    To jsem blazen, if there's a spodni stola and a stropni stola (in my
                                    understanding the top hole and the bottom hole done first) and then the rest
                                    is taken away (the "in between bit"), then why would anyone scrape away at
                                    the very top bit again???

                                    From the sentence you quoted, Kalota could be the very top part of a vaulted

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 3, 2002
                                      I think I've got it now, thanks

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 3, 2002
                                        --- In Czechlist@y..., Rubková <rubkova@l...> wrote:

                                        > etiketovac^ - osoba, která etiketuje

                                        Labelling machine operator

                                        ---
                                        English, Old: Wa min God! Se ax on min heafod is!
                                        Esperanto: Mia Dio! Hakilo estas en mia kapo!
                                        Finnish: Voi Luoja! Paassani on kirves!
                                        French: Mon dieu! Il y a une hache dans ma tete.
                                        German: O mein Gott! Es gibt ein Axt in meinem Kopf.
                                        German (Carinthian dialect):
                                        Um Goddes wuell, do is a hackale im meim schaedahle.
                                        German (Styrian dialect):
                                        Jessas, i hab a hockn im schaedel.
                                        German (Upper Austrian dialect):
                                        Hümmi, Orsch und Zwirn! Do steckt a Hocka in meina Birn.
                                        German (Vorarlbergerisch; West Austrian dialect):
                                        Hargoläss, do ischt an agscht i minoem griand!
                                        Greek, Ancient: O Thee! Echo ten labrida en te mou kephale!
                                        Greek, Modern: The'Mou! Eho ena tsekouri sto kefali mou!
                                        Hebrew: Oh Ellohim, yesh li garzen ba-rosh sheh-li!
                                        Hungarian: Jaj Istenem, de fejsze van a fejemben!
                                        Icelandic: Gud minn godur! Thad er o:xi i ho:fdinu a mer.
                                        Inuktitut (Greenlandic): Ah gootinga! Niaquniipuq ulimaat.
                                        Irish, Modern: Ó mo Dhia! Tá tua i mo cheann!
                                        Irish, Old: A mo dé! Táthum túag im chenn-sa.
                                        Italian: Dio mio! C'e' un' ascia nella mia testa!
                                        Japanese: ahh, kamisama! watashi no atama ni ono ga arimasu.
                                        Klingon: toH, HIvqa' Qun'a'wIj! nachwIjDaq 'obmaQ tu'lu'!
                                      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Oct 3, 2002
                                          In a message dated 10/3/02 5:31:03 PM, zehrovak@... writes:

                                          >> etiketovac^ - osoba, která etiketuje
                                          >
                                          >Labelling machine operator

                                          This is the most precise suggestion for this title. It's better than my
                                          suggestion "labeler", because out of context you can't tell if "labeler"
                                          means a machine or a person.

                                          Jamie
                                        • Rubková
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Oct 4, 2002
                                            Thanks to Mwlv and Jamie for additional inputs.

                                            Sarka