Re: [Czechlist] ISSUE: unknown mailing list

  • Kostas Zgafas
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 2, 2002
      It seems to me that I have been included in some translation related mailing
      list without being aware of it. Messages with attachments are coming to
      "undisclosed recipients", and I am not able to unsubcribe. Does anyone have
      similar experience?

      Kostas
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 2, 2002
        In a message dated 10/2/02 6:43:43 AM, kzgafas@... writes:

        >It seems to me that I have been included in some translation related mailing
        >list without being aware of it. Messages with attachments are coming to
        >"undisclosed recipients", and I am not able to unsubcribe. Does anyone
        >have similar experience?

        Yes, but it seems to me that what's happening is that people using MS Outlook
        Express in the CR are getting the Klez virus, and the stuff is being sent to
        me, among hundreds or thousands of others.

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 2, 2002
          Just got one from Dusan Papousek - not the old Klez, but a new worm called
          Bugbear or something - watch out!

          Matej
          > >It seems to me that I have been included in some translation related
          mailing
          > >list without being aware of it. Messages with attachments are coming to
          > >"undisclosed recipients", and I am not able to unsubcribe. Does anyone
          > >have similar experience?
          >
          > Yes, but it seems to me that what's happening is that people using MS
          Outlook
          > Express in the CR are getting the Klez virus, and the stuff is being sent
          > me, among hundreds or thousands of others.

          > Czechlist resources:

        • Beata Rodlingova
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 2, 2002
            --- In Czechlist@y..., "Matej Klimes" <mklimes@m...> wrote:
            > Just got one from Dusan Papousek - not the old Klez, but a new worm
            called
            > Bugbear or something - watch out!

            The same here.
            Fingers crossed for our hard drives.
            Beata
          • Ing. Miroslav HEROLD - IOL
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 2, 2002
              As you can see at the bottom of my mail, I am using the latest edition of
              AVG antivirus. Despite that, I get these spams at least twice a day. AVG
              does not report viral infection. So it is a bug in mailing system.
              BR

              Mirek
              > >It seems to me that I have been included in some translation related
              mailing
              > >list without being aware of it. Messages with attachments are coming to
              > >"undisclosed recipients", and I am not able to unsubcribe. Does anyone
              > >have similar experience?
              >
              > Yes, but it seems to me that what's happening is that people using MS
              Outlook
              > Express in the CR are getting the Klez virus, and the stuff is being sent
              > me, among hundreds or thousands of others.

              > Czechlist resources:

              ---
              Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 2, 2002
                Open one of the attachments and you'll be spaming yourself....

                I know, only total morons do that, there must be lots of morons.......

                Matej

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 2, 2002
                  Mirek Harold wrote:

                  > As you can see at the bottom of my mail, I am using the
                  latest edition of
                  > AVG antivirus. Despite that, I get these spams at least
                  twice a day. AVG
                  > does not report viral infection. So it is a bug in mailing
                  system.

                  I use Norton Antivirus and it detected the bug at issue; I
                  have also received it from Dusan Papusek's address. It
                  couldn't repair or quarantine the attachment, it was only
                  able to delete it permanently.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 3, 2002
                    Now Tomas Barendegt has the W32.Bugbear@mm bug, just got a message from him
                    now - go to Symantec and get the fix!!!

                    Matej

                    > > As you can see at the bottom of my mail, I am using the
                    > latest edition of
                    > > AVG antivirus. Despite that, I get these spams at least
                    > twice a day. AVG
                    > > does not report viral infection. So it is a bug in mailing
                    > system.
                    >
                    > I use Norton Antivirus and it detected the bug at issue; I
                    > have also received it from Dusan Papusek's address. It
                    > couldn't repair or quarantine the attachment, it was only
                    > able to delete it permanently.
                    >
                    > Jirka Bolech

                    > Czechlist resources:

                  • Kostas Zgafas
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 3, 2002
                      It is amazing which kind of messages those viruses are attached to:

                      Vazeni uzivatele VOLNY,

                      neradi Vas v prubehu kratke doby obesilame dalsi nevyzadanou zpravou,
                      myslime si vsak, ze byste meli byt informovani o nejnovejsim vyvoji
                      situace na ceskem internetu
                    • jan stary
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 3, 2002
                        Does anybody know the best term for the job many intellectuals held under the communist regime? In Czech: "topic". I've been struggling with this one for years and still can't get a satisfying answer. So, I thought we have so many smart ladies and gents here...:)
                        Thanks! And sorry if this seems like a trivial question to some of you...maybe I am just an ignoramus?!
                        Jan

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 3, 2002
                          --- In Czechlist@y..., jan stary <janstary2002@y...> wrote:

                          > Does anybody know the best term for the job many intellectuals held under=
                          the communist regime? In Czech: "topic". I've been struggling with this one=
                          for years and still can't get a satisfying answer. So, I thought we have so=
                          many smart ladies and gents here...:)
                          > Thanks! And sorry if this seems like a trivial question to some of you...=
                          maybe I am just an ignoramus?!
                          > Jan

                          Hello Honza,

                          What's wrong with "boilerman"? Oh very well then, "boilerperson".

                          ... Jaroslav Velinsky - Czech writer born in 1932. <> he worked
                          as a lathe operator, miner, arranger, boilerman, ...
                          www.avalcon.cz/index.php3?pg=hoste&lang=pl

                          1-2/2000 - English Summary
                          ... In 1980-86 he worked as a boilerman in different Prague hotels. ... Vác=
                          lav Malý
                          www.dzeno.cz/Amarogendalos/1-2-00/esummarry.htm

                          CTK Archive
                          ... He performed some manual jobs (forest worker, boilerman, ambulance
                          man). ... He was the Czech Interior Minister between 1992 and 1997

                          Or what's wrong with "stoker" for that matter?

                          ---
                          Afrikaans: O God! Daar's 'n byl in my kop!
                          Alsatian: Lever Gott! Es esch a Axe en miner Kopf!
                          Arabic: Ya Allah! Be fass bi rassi!
                          Assyrian: iliya pashum ina reshimi bashu
                          Babylonian: iliya pashu ina reshiya bashu
                          Basque: Jaungoikoa! Badut aizkor bat buruan!
                          Czech: Pane boze! Mam sekeru v hlave!
                          Egyptian, Ancient (Middle Kingdom): in Amun! iw minb m tp-i!
                          Elet Anta: Ha inyano! Oan kascac inye cufanvay!
                          Emoticon: k:-O
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 3, 2002
                            Speaking of that, do you know the trick to prevent these ugly creepies -
                            even if you get infected - from sending themselves out to all addresses they
                            find in your address list? Create a new address entry with name "!000"
                            (without the quotes), no e-mail adress, nothing. The bug starts with the
                            first entry of your address book, gets an error - as the address is not
                            valid - and stops.

                            > > As you can see at the bottom of my mail, I am using the
                            > latest edition of
                            > > AVG antivirus. Despite that, I get these spams at least
                            > twice a day. AVG
                            > > does not report viral infection. So it is a bug in mailing
                            > system.
                            >
                            > I use Norton Antivirus and it detected the bug at issue; I
                            > have also received it from Dusan Papusek's address. It
                            > couldn't repair or quarantine the attachment, it was only
                            > able to delete it permanently.
                            >
                            > Jirka Bolech

                            > Czechlist resources:

                            Czechlist resources:

                            Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

                          • Michael Trittipo
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 3, 2002

                              >. . . trick to prevent these . . . from sending themselves out . . .? Create a new address entry with name "!000" (without the quotes), no e-mail adress, nothing. The bug starts with the first entry of your address book, gets an error - as the address is not valid - and stops.

                              Sorry, that doesn't work. It's a myth. Many of the critters have their
                              own SMTP ability. Nothing says they all go in alpha order through an
                              address book. Nothing says that they have to send one message addressed
                              to 1000 recipients, instead of 1000 messages each to one valid
                              recipient. Even if the former were true, which it's not (and which any
                              truly nasty virus-writer would make sure it's not), nothing says that
                              they obey any "oops, found a not valid one" rule of any particular mail
                              client. And in the more likely scenario of 1000 messages, each a
                              one-off, 999 of them validly addressed and only the !000 one not validly
                              addressed, there's neither (a) any mechanism by which an "sorry,
                              undeliverable" response to one message (or a "can't send -- invalid
                              address" message, if there's some reliance on an MTA external to the
                              virus itself) will stop the other 999, nor is there (b) any reason to
                              think that any such mechanism would act before the other 999
                              validly-addressed messages get sent.
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 4, 2002
                                Technically, not every topic is a boiler man, because not everything they
                                fire under is a boiler :) But I guess it will do for a romantinc account of
                                many of our velvet politicians' past........

                                Matej

                                > > Does anybody know the best term for the job many intellectuals held
                                under=
                                > the communist regime? In Czech: "topic". I've been struggling with this
                                one=
                                > for years and still can't get a satisfying answer. So, I thought we have
                                so=
                                > many smart ladies and gents here...:)
                                > > Thanks! And sorry if this seems like a trivial question to some of
                                you...=
                                > maybe I am just an ignoramus?!
                                > > Jan
                                > >

                                > Hello Honza,
                                >
                                > What's wrong with "boilerman"? Oh very well then, "boilerperson".
                                >
                                > ... Jaroslav Velinsky - Czech writer born in 1932. <> he worked
                                > as a lathe operator, miner, arranger, boilerman, ...
                                > www.avalcon.cz/index.php3?pg=hoste&lang=pl
                                >
                                > 1-2/2000 - English Summary
                                > ... In 1980-86 he worked as a boilerman in different Prague hotels. ...
                                Vác=
                                > lav Malý
                                > www.dzeno.cz/Amarogendalos/1-2-00/esummarry.htm
                                >
                                > CTK Archive
                                > ... He performed some manual jobs (forest worker, boilerman, ambulance
                                > man). ... He was the Czech Interior Minister between 1992 and 1997
                                >
                                > Or what's wrong with "stoker" for that matter?

                                > ---
                                > Afrikaans: O God! Daar's 'n byl in my kop!
                                > Alsatian: Lever Gott! Es esch a Axe en miner Kopf!
                                > Arabic: Ya Allah! Be fass bi rassi!
                                > Assyrian: iliya pashum ina reshimi bashu
                                > Babylonian: iliya pashu ina reshiya bashu
                                > Basque: Jaungoikoa! Badut aizkor bat buruan!
                                > Czech: Pane boze! Mam sekeru v hlave!
                                > Egyptian, Ancient (Middle Kingdom): in Amun! iw minb m tp-i!
                                > Elet Anta: Ha inyano! Oan kascac inye cufanvay!
                                > Emoticon: k:-O

                                > Czechlist resources:

                              • Kostas Zgafas
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 4, 2002
                                  > > > Does anybody know the best term for the job many intellectuals held
                                  > under=
                                  > > the communist regime? In Czech: "topic". I've been struggling with this
                                  > one=
                                  > > for years and still can't get a satisfying answer.

                                  I think a good translation might be "button-pushers":-) This is actually all
                                  what you do when operating a gas, or electric boiler.
                                  Also, it gives a long-term integrity to political resumes of many of them.

                                  Kostas
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 7, 2002
                                    --- In Czechlist@y..., "Matej Klimes" <mklimes@m...> wrote:
                                    > Technically, not every topic is a boiler man, because not everything they fire under is a boiler :)

                                    :) Does a frogman have to know anything about frogs?

                                    I was a railman for years but I never actually touched a rail.

                                    If you get your head stuck between railings and I have to call out the fire brigade to release you, are they likely to say: "Oh dear, can't touch him unless he's actually on fire, mate. I'm a fireman, you see."

                                    Yes, my examples are frivolous but I put it to you that in words of the "***man" type, the *** does not necessarily have to have an immediate connection with the -man!

                                    Or how about my other suggestion - stoker? Don't tell me, they don't all actually stoke as such. Some of them just press buttons. Can't win, can I?

                                    M.
                                  • lucinka_f
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 8, 2002
                                      Most weird - I've been getting all of these e-mails you have been
                                      talking about, from Dusan Papousek and Barendregt and many others...
                                      they had no attachments, though! I don't know what to think - did
                                      they get lost on the way to my computer or did it delete them?
                                      Hmmmm....

                                      Lucie

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 8, 2002
                                        They did have attachments - hidden ones though.... scr, pif... you know the
                                        stuff