Re: alcohol lighter

  • Dusan Papousek
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2002
      I am not a smoker but the alcohol lighter does exist although it can be
      found rather in a technical museum than in a smoker's pocket. Try
      www.picassojr.com/swisher/wmisc.htm to see a picture of an alcohol lighter
      from 1910. An alcohol lighter caused a series accident in a Hawai lighthouse
      in 1925 (see www.lighthousefriends.com/ligh.asp?ID-141). "Alcohol igniter"
      has only 2 hits, however, as an oxygen-alcohol igniter in next generation
      engines sounds interesting - depends on the context.

      D. P.
      _____________

      Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 13:55:34 +0200
      From: "PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor" <coilin.oconnor@...>
      Subject: HELP: term - "lihovy zapalovac"

      Hi there,

      Does anyone know what we would call this in English? I cannot find any
      reliable references on the net for "alcohol/spirit lighters". I have hardly
      any context although I know it uses a wick. Normally I would assume that it
      is a Zippo/windproof lighter but AFAIK these are usually fuelled with
      butane.

      Are there any smokers out there who might be able to help.

      Any suggestions welcome.

      Best regards
      Coilin