Re: [Czechlist] HELP: term - "lihovy zapalovac"

  • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
      > Hey! That's something different! LIhovy podplaovac is the white waxy cubes
      > you can buy in drogerie to either start a camp fire if your logs are too
      > wet, or use it as a fuel for a small and primitive camping cooker, instead
      > of gas. It's called lihovy, but I doubt there is any spirit in it. FWIW,
      > Millenium offers fire-brand for podpalovac (zapalovac is misleading and
      > incorrect).
      >

      > HTH
      > Martin

      Thanks for the info Martin. Nevertheless, I am fairly sure it is meant to
      be some sort of "zapalovac". Why else would it have a wick?

      Best regards
      Coilin
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
        --- In Czechlist@y..., "PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor"
        <coilin.oconnor@s...> wrote:

        >I am fairly sure it is meant to be some sort of "zapalovac". Why
        else would it have a wick?

        Check out the Vintage Lighters Webring for inspiration:

        http://c.webring.com/hub?sid=&ring=lighters&id=&list

        I notice they often use the hyperonym "wick lighters" even for those
        using methylated spirit, butane and so forth. I agree with you
        that "spirit lighters" does not seem to figure much – in fact, I got
        a googlewhack from New Zealand for it - not necessarily a reason to
        poo-pooh the idea, he hastens to add - it's a very respectable
        looking googlewhack:

        www.auctionmccrostie.co.nz/gen1.htm