RE: [Czechlist] HELP: term - "lihovy zapalovac"

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
      Hey! That's something different! LIhovy podplaovac is the white waxy cubes
      you can buy in drogerie to either start a camp fire if your logs are too
      wet, or use it as a fuel for a small and primitive camping cooker, instead
      of gas. It's called lihovy, but I doubt there is any spirit in it. FWIW,
      Millenium offers fire-brand for podpalovac (zapalovac is misleading and
      incorrect).

      HTH

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
        > Hey! That's something different! LIhovy podplaovac is the white waxy cubes
        > you can buy in drogerie to either start a camp fire if your logs are too
        > wet, or use it as a fuel for a small and primitive camping cooker, instead
        > of gas. It's called lihovy, but I doubt there is any spirit in it. FWIW,
        > Millenium offers fire-brand for podpalovac (zapalovac is misleading and
        > incorrect).
        >

        > HTH
        > Martin

        Thanks for the info Martin. Nevertheless, I am fairly sure it is meant to
        be some sort of "zapalovac". Why else would it have a wick?

        Best regards
        Coilin
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
          --- In Czechlist@y..., "PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor"
          <coilin.oconnor@s...> wrote:

          >I am fairly sure it is meant to be some sort of "zapalovac". Why
          else would it have a wick?

          Check out the Vintage Lighters Webring for inspiration:

          http://c.webring.com/hub?sid=&ring=lighters&id=&list

          I notice they often use the hyperonym "wick lighters" even for those
          using methylated spirit, butane and so forth. I agree with you
          that "spirit lighters" does not seem to figure much – in fact, I got
          a googlewhack from New Zealand for it - not necessarily a reason to
          poo-pooh the idea, he hastens to add - it's a very respectable
          looking googlewhack:

          www.auctionmccrostie.co.nz/gen1.htm