HELP: term - "lihovy zapalovac"

  • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
      Hi there,

      Does anyone know what we would call this in English? I cannot find any
      reliable references on the net for "alcohol/spirit lighters". I have hardly
      any context although I know it uses a wick. Normally I would assume that it
      is a Zippo/windproof lighter but AFAIK these are usually fuelled with
      butane.

      Are there any smokers out there who might be able to help.

      Any suggestions welcome.

      Best regards
      Coilin
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
        Hey! That's something different! LIhovy podplaovac is the white waxy cubes
        you can buy in drogerie to either start a camp fire if your logs are too
        wet, or use it as a fuel for a small and primitive camping cooker, instead
        of gas. It's called lihovy, but I doubt there is any spirit in it. FWIW,
        Millenium offers fire-brand for podpalovac (zapalovac is misleading and
        incorrect).

        HTH

        Does anyone know what we would call this in English? I cannot find any
        reliable references on the net for "alcohol/spirit lighters". I have hardly
        any context although I know it uses a wick. Normally I would assume that it
        is a Zippo/windproof lighter but AFAIK these are usually fuelled with
        butane.

        Are there any smokers out there who might be able to help.

        Any suggestions welcome.

        Best regards
        Coilin

        Czechlist resources:

        Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

      • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
          > Hey! That's something different! LIhovy podplaovac is the white waxy cubes
          > you can buy in drogerie to either start a camp fire if your logs are too
          > wet, or use it as a fuel for a small and primitive camping cooker, instead
          > of gas. It's called lihovy, but I doubt there is any spirit in it. FWIW,
          > Millenium offers fire-brand for podpalovac (zapalovac is misleading and
          > incorrect).
          >

          > HTH
          > Martin

          Thanks for the info Martin. Nevertheless, I am fairly sure it is meant to
          be some sort of "zapalovac". Why else would it have a wick?

          Best regards
          Coilin
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
            --- In Czechlist@y..., "PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor"
            <coilin.oconnor@s...> wrote:

            >I am fairly sure it is meant to be some sort of "zapalovac". Why
            else would it have a wick?

            Check out the Vintage Lighters Webring for inspiration:

            http://c.webring.com/hub?sid=&ring=lighters&id=&list

            I notice they often use the hyperonym "wick lighters" even for those
            using methylated spirit, butane and so forth. I agree with you
            that "spirit lighters" does not seem to figure much – in fact, I got
            a googlewhack from New Zealand for it - not necessarily a reason to
            poo-pooh the idea, he hastens to add - it's a very respectable
            looking googlewhack:

            www.auctionmccrostie.co.nz/gen1.htm