TERM: foreclose

  • Lucie Formánková
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 28, 2002
      Hello everybody,

      could anyone explain to me the meaning of the world "foreclose" in the
      following sentence?

      "The Contractor shall be foreclosed unless he presents complete documentary
      evidence, justification and costs for each of his claims."

      I have found the term in various dictionaries, presenting me invariably with
      the meaning "zabavit pro nezaplaceny hypotekarni dluh". I don't think that's
      quite it here. Marta Chroma in her E-C Law Dictionary also suggests the
      meanings "vyloucit", "prekludovat". That still doesn't help me in
      understanding the sentence. Am I right in guessing that it simply means that
      unless the contractor proves his claim is substantiated, the claim won't be
      compensated to him? Why then would they use such an obscure word?

      The context is a legal contract for the performance of certain works.

      Many thanks in advance,

      Lucie

      ---
      Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
    • Petr Jarolím
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 28, 2002
        I think you are right.
        "to foreclose" = odejmout pravo, vyloucit.

        regards
        Hana

        > could anyone explain to me the meaning of the world "foreclose" in the
        > following sentence?
        >
        > "The Contractor shall be foreclosed unless he presents complete
        documentary
        > evidence, justification and costs for each of his claims."
        >
        > I have found the term in various dictionaries, presenting me invariably
        with
        > the meaning "zabavit pro nezaplaceny hypotekarni dluh". I don't think
        that's
        > quite it here. Marta Chroma in her E-C Law Dictionary also suggests the
        > meanings "vyloucit", "prekludovat". That still doesn't help me in
        > understanding the sentence. Am I right in guessing that it simply means
        that
        > unless the contractor proves his claim is substantiated, the claim won't
        be
        > compensated to him? Why then would they use such an obscure word?
        >
        > The context is a legal contract for the performance of certain works.
        >
        > Many thanks in advance,
        >
        > Lucie
        >
        > ---
        > Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
        > Zkontrolováno antivirovým systémem AVG (http://www.grisoft.cz).
        > Verze: 6.0.389 / Virová báze: 220 - datum vydání: 16.9.2002

        > Czechlist resources:

      • lucinka_f
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 28, 2002
          Hana,

          I know the meaning - found it in the dictionary. Problem is, I have
          no idea how to fit it in the sentence I posted here. It doesn't make
          any sense. I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to the actual
          translation of the sentence.

          Best regards,

          Lucie

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Petr Jarolím
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 29, 2002
            Pokud zhotovitel nepredlozi uplne listinne dukazy, zduvodneni a sve naklady
            nedolozi, jeho narok/pravo na ??? (depending on the context) zanika.

          • lucinka_f
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 30, 2002
              That is actually similar to something I came up with myself. I guess
              I understood it correctly after all. Many thanks. L.

            • Michael Trittipo
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 30, 2002

                ><< "The Contractor shall be foreclosed unless he presents complete documentary
                >evidence, justification and costs for each of his claims." >>

                I see that Petr has already given you a suggestion for the Czech that
                looks OK.

                << Why then would they use such an obscure word? >>

                Possibly it was written by someone who was not a lawyer but who thought
                they were copying legalese. The English is screwed up, and that
                sometimes happens when non-lawyers think they can just take a legal text
                and adapt it themselves. Unfortunately, for some reason they also shut
                down their sensitivity to English when they do that. It's rather like a
                translator's client deciding that they don't need a new text translated
                by a translator, because (they think) they can just take a previously
                translated text and change a few words here and there and it'll be good.
                Yeah, right. Anyway, usually one would be foreclosed *from something*
                or *from doing something* or a claim is foreclosed by or because of some
                fact, or until some condition exists. Whoever wrote this sentence
                confused the claim and the person. A word like "barred" would have been
                better, most likely, and a rephrasing. In the meantime, it sounds like
                you have the sense and a translation.
              • Lucie Formánková
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
                  Michael, I agree that they must have used the term in a confused way. The
                  contract I am working on is really heavy on the legalese jargon and would-be
                  bookish expressions of the thereto/hereto/whereby/thereby type, such as
                  "whereafter", which I haven't been able to find even in Webster and possibly
                  it is a twisted form of "thereafter", adapted to suit a relative clause.
                  What do you think about that one?

                  L.

                  Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 08:54:56 -0500
                  From: Michael Trittipo <tritt002@...>
                  Subject: Re: TERM: foreclose

                  ><< "The Contractor shall be foreclosed unless he presents complete
                  documentary
                  >evidence, justification and costs for each of his claims." >>

                  I see that Petr has already given you a suggestion for the Czech that
                  looks OK.

                  << Why then would they use such an obscure word? >>

                  Possibly it was written by someone who was not a lawyer but who thought
                  they were copying legalese. The English is screwed up, and that
                  sometimes happens when non-lawyers think they can just take a legal text
                  and adapt it themselves. Unfortunately, for some reason they also shut
                  down their sensitivity to English when they do that. It's rather like a
                  translator's client deciding that they don't need a new text translated
                  by a translator, because (they think) they can just take a previously
                  translated text and change a few words here and there and it'll be good.
                  Yeah, right. Anyway, usually one would be foreclosed *from something*
                  or *from doing something* or a claim is foreclosed by or because of some
                  fact, or until some condition exists. Whoever wrote this sentence
                  confused the claim and the person. A word like "barred" would have been
                  better, most likely, and a rephrasing. In the meantime, it sounds like
                  you have the sense and a translation.

                  Message: 3
                  Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 12:17:10 +0200
                  From: Zdenek Mikan <zdenek@...>
                  Subject: Re: HELP: terms

                  Ahoj Jardo,

                  Diky za duveru, ale ty vyrazy mi nic moc nerikaji. V posledni vete:

                  "An original image displayed on the CRT monitor had a proximal field of 2°
                  visual field and a background that was a neutral gray with 20% luminance
                  factor."

                  bych asi zkusil to proximal field uplne vynechat a nechat tam jen zorne
                  pole 2° nebo blízké zorné pole 2°. (Existuji dva standardy mereni barevnych
                  souradnic barev podle komice CIE (Comission International d'Eclairage),
                  jeden s pokrytim 10 stupnu zorneho pole oka a druhy s pokrytim 2 stupnu.)

                  Zdenek Mikan

                  >Hello!
                  >Thanks to all who have responded to my query so far. Sorry once more for
                  >bothering you with the three attempts, I was rather tired after sitting in
                  >front of a computer all day long.
                  >Of course, the whole piece is about coloristics, as Jirka has pointed out
                  >rightly, only I could not come across any proper expression in English and
                  >was lazy to look it up in a dictionary, that is why I said "computers"
                  >(although Zdenìk, whom I mentioned, deals predominantly with software, and
                  >not hardware).
                  >Anyway, at the time I was posting it, I had already searched Google and all
                  >the resources that might at least remotely have something to say about the
                  >topic. I had also made my rough guesses, but still I felt I needed the help
                  >from somebody who is really familiar with this topic.
                  >So, my rendering of the terms was as follows:
                  >blue hue loci = mista modreho odstinu or just modra mista ?
                  >ramp data = linearne rostouci udaje ? (I do not believe this is a good
                  >translation of it but I still have nothing better)
                  >tristimulus values = hodnoty trichromatickych slozek ?
                  >proximal field = proximalni pole (i.e. smerem ke stredu) ?
                  >Is there anybody who could confirm if these suggestions are of any value at
                  >all, and if not, preferably provide better ones?
                  >Thanks again.
                  >Jarda

                  Message: 4
                  Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:04:24 +0200
                  From: Zdenek Mikan <zdenek@...>

                  Ahoj Jardo,

                  Diky za duveru, ale ty vyrazy mi nic moc nerikaji. V posledni vete:

                  "An original image displayed on the CRT monitor had a proximal field of 2°
                  visual field and a background that was a neutral gray with 20% luminance
                  factor."

                  bych asi zkusil to proximal field uplne vynechat a nechat tam jen zorne
                  pole 2° nebo blízké zorné pole 2°. (Existuji dva standardy mereni barevnych
                  souradnic barev podle komice CIE (Comission International d'Eclairage),
                  jeden s pokrytim 10 stupnu zorneho pole oka a druhy s pokrytim 2 stupnu.)

                  Zdenek Mikan

                  >Hello!
                  >Thanks to all who have responded to my query so far. Sorry once more for
                  >bothering you with the three attempts, I was rather tired after sitting in
                  >front of a computer all day long.
                  >Of course, the whole piece is about coloristics, as Jirka has pointed out
                  >rightly, only I could not come across any proper expression in English and
                  >was lazy to look it up in a dictionary, that is why I said "computers"
                  >(although Zdenìk, whom I mentioned, deals predominantly with software, and
                  >not hardware).
                  >Anyway, at the time I was posting it, I had already searched Google and all
                  >the resources that might at least remotely have something to say about the
                  >topic. I had also made my rough guesses, but still I felt I needed the help
                  >from somebody who is really familiar with this topic.
                  >So, my rendering of the terms was as follows:
                  >blue hue loci = mista modreho odstinu or just modra mista ?
                  >ramp data = linearne rostouci udaje ? (I do not believe this is a good
                  >translation of it but I still have nothing better)
                  >tristimulus values = hodnoty trichromatickych slozek ?
                  >proximal field = proximalni pole (i.e. smerem ke stredu) ?
                  >Is there anybody who could confirm if these suggestions are of any value at
                  >all, and if not, preferably provide better ones?
                  >Thanks again.
                  >Jarda

                  Message: 5
                  Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 13:55:34 +0200
                  From: "PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor" <coilin.oconnor@...>
                  Subject: HELP: term - "lihovy zapalovac"

                  Hi there,

                  Does anyone know what we would call this in English? I cannot find any
                  reliable references on the net for "alcohol/spirit lighters". I have hardly
                  any context although I know it uses a wick. Normally I would assume that it
                  is a Zippo/windproof lighter but AFAIK these are usually fuelled with
                  butane.

                  Are there any smokers out there who might be able to help.

                  Any suggestions welcome.

                  Best regards
                  Coilin

                  ---
                  Pøíchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.

                  ---
                  Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
                • Helga Humlova
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
                    Hi Lucie,

                    whereafter sounds very GERMISH.

                    Put it apart into „where“ and „after“ and you get the logical GERMAN „wonach
                    “ which means „whereupon“ and is to be understood as „po cem, podle ceho,
                    podle toho“
                    Hope that helps

                    Helga

                    Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 08:54:56 -0500
                    From: Michael Trittipo <tritt002@...>

                    Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 12:17:10 +0200
                    From: Zdenek Mikan <zdenek@...>

                    Ahoj Jardo,

                    Diky za duveru, ale ty vyrazy mi nic moc nerikaji. V posledni vete:

                    "An original image displayed on the CRT monitor had a proximal field of 2°
                    visual field and a background that was a neutral gray with 20% luminance
                    factor."

                    bych asi zkusil to proximal field uplne vynechat a nechat tam jen zorne
                    pole 2° nebo blízké zorné pole 2°. (Existuji dva standardy mereni barevnych
                    souradnic barev podle komice CIE (Comission International d'Eclairage),
                    jeden s pokrytim 10 stupnu zorneho pole oka a druhy s pokrytim 2 stupnu.)

                    Zdenek Mikan

                    >Hello!
                    >Thanks to all who have responded to my query so far. Sorry once more for
                    >bothering you with the three attempts, I was rather tired after sitting in
                    >front of a computer all day long.
                    >Of course, the whole piece is about coloristics, as Jirka has pointed out
                    >rightly, only I could not come across any proper expression in English and
                    >was lazy to look it up in a dictionary, that is why I said "computers"
                    >(although Zdenìk, whom I mentioned, deals predominantly with software, and
                    >not hardware).
                    >Anyway, at the time I was posting it, I had already searched Google and all
                    >the resources that might at least remotely have something to say about the
                    >topic. I had also made my rough guesses, but still I felt I needed the help
                    >from somebody who is really familiar with this topic.
                    >So, my rendering of the terms was as follows:
                    >blue hue loci = mista modreho odstinu or just modra mista ?
                    >ramp data = linearne rostouci udaje ? (I do not believe this is a good
                    >translation of it but I still have nothing better)
                    >tristimulus values = hodnoty trichromatickych slozek ?
                    >proximal field = proximalni pole (i.e. smerem ke stredu) ?
                    >Is there anybody who could confirm if these suggestions are of any value at
                    >all, and if not, preferably provide better ones?
                    >Thanks again.
                    >Jarda

                    Message: 4
                    Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:04:24 +0200
                    From: Zdenek Mikan <zdenek@...>

                    Ahoj Jardo,

                    Diky za duveru, ale ty vyrazy mi nic moc nerikaji. V posledni vete:

                    "An original image displayed on the CRT monitor had a proximal field of 2°
                    visual field and a background that was a neutral gray with 20% luminance
                    factor."

                    bych asi zkusil to proximal field uplne vynechat a nechat tam jen zorne
                    pole 2° nebo blízké zorné pole 2°. (Existuji dva standardy mereni barevnych
                    souradnic barev podle komice CIE (Comission International d'Eclairage),
                    jeden s pokrytim 10 stupnu zorneho pole oka a druhy s pokrytim 2 stupnu.)

                    Zdenek Mikan

                    >Hello!
                    >Thanks to all who have responded to my query so far. Sorry once more for
                    >bothering you with the three attempts, I was rather tired after sitting in
                    >front of a computer all day long.
                    >Of course, the whole piece is about coloristics, as Jirka has pointed out
                    >rightly, only I could not come across any proper expression in English and
                    >was lazy to look it up in a dictionary, that is why I said "computers"
                    >(although Zdenìk, whom I mentioned, deals predominantly with software, and
                    >not hardware).
                    >Anyway, at the time I was posting it, I had already searched Google and all
                    >the resources that might at least remotely have something to say about the
                    >topic. I had also made my rough guesses, but still I felt I needed the help
                    >from somebody who is really familiar with this topic.
                    >So, my rendering of the terms was as follows:
                    >blue hue loci = mista modreho odstinu or just modra mista ?
                    >ramp data = linearne rostouci udaje ? (I do not believe this is a good
                    >translation of it but I still have nothing better)
                    >tristimulus values = hodnoty trichromatickych slozek ?
                    >proximal field = proximalni pole (i.e. smerem ke stredu) ?
                    >Is there anybody who could confirm if these suggestions are of any value at
                    >all, and if not, preferably provide better ones?
                    >Thanks again.
                    >Jarda

                    Message: 5
                    Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 13:55:34 +0200
                    From: "PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor" <coilin.oconnor@...>

                    Hi there,

                    Does anyone know what we would call this in English? I cannot find any
                    reliable references on the net for "alcohol/spirit lighters". I have hardly
                    any context although I know it uses a wick. Normally I would assume that it
                    is a Zippo/windproof lighter but AFAIK these are usually fuelled with
                    butane.

                    Are there any smokers out there who might be able to help.

                    Any suggestions welcome.

                    Best regards
                    Coilin

                    ---
                    Pøíchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
                    Zkontrolováno antivirovým systémem AVG ( http://www.grisoft.cz).

                    ---
                    Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
                    Zkontrolováno antivirovým systémem AVG ( http://www.grisoft.cz).

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233351.2428261.3848243.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=17050435
                    88:HM/A=1212978/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/grp/300_youH1/g22lp?Tar
                    get=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

                    Czechlist resources:

                    Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002

                      >"whereafter", which I haven't been able to find even in Webster and possibly
                      >it is a twisted form of "thereafter", adapted to suit a relative clause.

                      It exists, somewhat like "whereby" -- but it's not common. Does "after
                      which" or "whereupon" fit in the context?

                      Filip entered, whereafter Hanka left.
                      Filip entered, after which Hanka left.
                      Filip entered, whereupon Hanka left.
                    • lucinka_f
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 2, 2002
                        Yeah, I think it actually should have been "whereupon". At least it
                        fits the meaning of the sentence. Thanks for the suggestions. L.