Re: "what is called" versus "so-called"

  • Dusan Papousek
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 13, 2002
      Curvatures, if each surface has its own curvature. This sentence, however,
      was "artificial" - I created it from a "real" scientific text just to
      illustrate my languge problem. I thank Melvyn for his valuable comment and
      explanation.

      D. P.

      From: Michael Grant <transman@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: "so-called" versus "what is called"

      On 9/10/02 7:30 AM, "Dusan Papousek" <Papousek@...> wrote:

      > Now I would like to use this exchange of opinions a little bit selfishly.
      > have a problem with "what is said" when the noun is in plural. For
      example, is
      > it correct to say "we live on surfaces with what a r e called positive
      > curvatures" ?

      Do they have curvatures, or just curvature?
      Personally, I almost always render 'takzvany' by putting the referenced
      expression in quotes, without any direct verbal equivalent to the Czech
      word.

      Michael

      --
    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 13, 2002
        On 9/13/02 2:52 AM, "Dusan Papousek" <Papousek@...> wrote:

        > Curvatures, if each surface has its own curvature.

        Well... if you actually specify or measure a distinct curvature for each
        one, OK. But if you're just saying that various surfaces have positive
        curvature, I think I'd use the singular.

        Michael

        --
        Jail to the Thief!