Re: [Czechlist] TERM: flammable vs. combustible

  • Alena Ockova
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2002
      --- Kostas Zgafas <kzgafas@...> wrote: > How to
      distinguish between "flammable" and
      > "combustible" in Czech?
      combustible = spalitelny
      (combustion = spalovani, e.g. combustion engine =
      spalovaci motor)
      > Another way to classify them might be: flammable
      > (Class I) and combustible
      > (Classes II + III), but I need to stick with the
      > "wordy" classification:
      > "horlavy vs. ???"
      Though I am not sure about the classification. Safety
      labels usually say:
      horlavina II. (III.) stupne
      or
      vysoce horlavy

      Alena

      http://uk.my.yahoo.com
    • Kostas Zgafas
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 2002
        > --- Kostas Zgafas <kzgafas@...> wrote: > How to
        > distinguish between "flammable" and
        > > "combustible" in Czech?
        > combustible = spalitelny
        > (combustion = spalovani, e.g. combustion engine =
        > spalovaci motor)
        > > Another way to classify them might be: flammable
        > > (Class I) and combustible
        > > (Classes II + III), but I need to stick with the
        > > "wordy" classification:
        > > "horlavy vs. ???"
        > Though I am not sure about the classification. Safety
        > labels usually say:
        > horlavina II. (III.) stupne
        > or
        > vysoce horlavy
        >
        > Alena

        Thank you for your input, Alena. I was hopefull that i could use your
        II(III) st. as "vysoce horlavy" for combustible vs. I st.as "extremne
        horlavy" for flammable, however, when I checked on Google, I found several
        authoritative sources using "highly flammable" and "extremely flammable" +
        ... combustible... The classes I + II(III) - they do distinguish between
        flam. and comb., but still no Czech word for comb. I guess I will have to
        call tomorrow someone in a regulatory agency, or so, and ask them.

        Thank you,

        Kostas
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 3, 2002
          jo, k tomu horlavy/vysoce h. bych se taky priklonil

          > > "horlavy vs. ???"
          > Though I am not sure about the classification. Safety
          > labels usually say:
          > horlavina II. (III.) stupne
          > or
          > vysoce horlavy

        • Milan Condak
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4, 2002
            Stupne horlavosti jsou dany zapalnou teplotou.
            Je mozno pouzit prislovce: lehce, snadno, tezce...
            zapalny
            zapalna
            zapalne

            Se svym prispevkem
            Milan Condak
            www.condak.cz

          • Kostas Zgafas
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 4, 2002
              Indeed, "zapalna teplota" - another term next to "bod vzplanuti".:-))
              However, Google shows very poor occurence for "zápalná kapalina" (just 3). I
              must say I have not found which Czech words distinguish between "combustible
              and flammable", although I made plenty of phone calls today to people
              dealing with regulations. The only I found that this is quite complex and
              specific field with rich terminology going far beyond general technical
              knowledge. However, the diference between "combustible" and "flammable" is
              clear, they differ in their ignition points. I am coming to the conclusion
              (which I must still verify) that the Czech calls both as "horlave", if the
              text does not go any deeper into their differences. If it does, then it
              starts to classify:
              either: horlave, vysoce horlave(F), extremne horlave(F+)
              or another way: class I - flammable (horlave I. tridy) , class (II+III)
              combustible (horlave(!) II a III. tridy.

              In other words, I think I might use "horlava" for "everything that catches
              fire", as long as I don't go into details of the liquid. Then I need to
              classify as above. This conclusion might be supported by the legal version
              of R-S phrases (they were translated from English to Czech, and the Czech
              translations have been put in law. The original English R-S phrases use
              "combustible vs. flammable", however their Czech translations call
              everything as "horlava". And they are, indeed, simple phrases that do not go
              into any deeper description of liquids at all. They just say stuff like:
              "Keep all sources of ignition away from flammable liquids", i.e. "from all
              liquids that catch fire". So here, I think, I may call everything as
              "horlava", as the Czech law with R-S phrases does..

              Thank you for your attention:-)

              Kostas