[Czechlist] TERM: flammable vs. combustible

  • Kostas Zgafas
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2002
      How to distinguish between "flammable" and "combustible" in Czech? Does
      anyone know? It seems that the Czech uses "horlavy" for everything that may
      catch fire, and does not distinguish between the two as the English does.
      Rough definitions: flammable - flash point below 100 F
      combustible- flash point above 100 F
      Another way to classify them might be: flammable (Class I) and combustible
      (Classes II + III), but I need to stick with the "wordy" classification:
      "horlavy vs. ???"

      Thank you,

      Kostas
    • Alena Ockova
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 2002
        --- Kostas Zgafas <kzgafas@...> wrote: > How to
        distinguish between "flammable" and
        > "combustible" in Czech?
        combustible = spalitelny
        (combustion = spalovani, e.g. combustion engine =
        spalovaci motor)
        > Another way to classify them might be: flammable
        > (Class I) and combustible
        > (Classes II + III), but I need to stick with the
        > "wordy" classification:
        > "horlavy vs. ???"
        Though I am not sure about the classification. Safety
        labels usually say:
        horlavina II. (III.) stupne
        or
        vysoce horlavy

        Alena

        http://uk.my.yahoo.com
      • Kostas Zgafas
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 3, 2002
          > --- Kostas Zgafas <kzgafas@...> wrote: > How to
          > distinguish between "flammable" and
          > > "combustible" in Czech?
          > combustible = spalitelny
          > (combustion = spalovani, e.g. combustion engine =
          > spalovaci motor)
          > > Another way to classify them might be: flammable
          > > (Class I) and combustible
          > > (Classes II + III), but I need to stick with the
          > > "wordy" classification:
          > > "horlavy vs. ???"
          > Though I am not sure about the classification. Safety
          > labels usually say:
          > horlavina II. (III.) stupne
          > or
          > vysoce horlavy
          >
          > Alena

          Thank you for your input, Alena. I was hopefull that i could use your
          II(III) st. as "vysoce horlavy" for combustible vs. I st.as "extremne
          horlavy" for flammable, however, when I checked on Google, I found several
          authoritative sources using "highly flammable" and "extremely flammable" +
          ... combustible... The classes I + II(III) - they do distinguish between
          flam. and comb., but still no Czech word for comb. I guess I will have to
          call tomorrow someone in a regulatory agency, or so, and ask them.

          Thank you,

          Kostas
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 3, 2002
            jo, k tomu horlavy/vysoce h. bych se taky priklonil

            > > "horlavy vs. ???"
            > Though I am not sure about the classification. Safety
            > labels usually say:
            > horlavina II. (III.) stupne
            > or
            > vysoce horlavy

          • Milan Condak
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 4, 2002
              Stupne horlavosti jsou dany zapalnou teplotou.
              Je mozno pouzit prislovce: lehce, snadno, tezce...
              zapalny
              zapalna
              zapalne

              Se svym prispevkem
              Milan Condak
              www.condak.cz

            • Kostas Zgafas
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 4, 2002
                Indeed, "zapalna teplota" - another term next to "bod vzplanuti".:-))
                However, Google shows very poor occurence for "zápalná kapalina" (just 3). I
                must say I have not found which Czech words distinguish between "combustible
                and flammable", although I made plenty of phone calls today to people
                dealing with regulations. The only I found that this is quite complex and
                specific field with rich terminology going far beyond general technical
                knowledge. However, the diference between "combustible" and "flammable" is
                clear, they differ in their ignition points. I am coming to the conclusion
                (which I must still verify) that the Czech calls both as "horlave", if the
                text does not go any deeper into their differences. If it does, then it
                starts to classify:
                either: horlave, vysoce horlave(F), extremne horlave(F+)
                or another way: class I - flammable (horlave I. tridy) , class (II+III)
                combustible (horlave(!) II a III. tridy.

                In other words, I think I might use "horlava" for "everything that catches
                fire", as long as I don't go into details of the liquid. Then I need to
                classify as above. This conclusion might be supported by the legal version
                of R-S phrases (they were translated from English to Czech, and the Czech
                translations have been put in law. The original English R-S phrases use
                "combustible vs. flammable", however their Czech translations call
                everything as "horlava". And they are, indeed, simple phrases that do not go
                into any deeper description of liquids at all. They just say stuff like:
                "Keep all sources of ignition away from flammable liquids", i.e. "from all
                liquids that catch fire". So here, I think, I may call everything as
                "horlava", as the Czech law with R-S phrases does..

                Thank you for your attention:-)

                Kostas