Urad mestskeho obrodu

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2002
      I've got a CSSR birth certificate here on which the almost-legible stamp is
      from the Ostrava-Vitkovice "Urad mestskeho obrodu", or at least this is what
      it appears to say.

      Could that be right? If so, what the heck does it mean? I understand the
      words, but I don't understand the reality behind it.

      Jamie
    • David Fuchs
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 31, 2002
        Hi Jamie,

        You probably made a typo ("obrodu" instead of "obvodu") or I don't
        understand what exactly you don't understand :-). An "urad mestskeho obvodu"
        is the official name for a municipal office of a city district, but I
        suppose that's something you already know.

        David
        (ready to help)

        > I've got a CSSR birth certificate here on which the almost-legible stamp
        is
        > from the Ostrava-Vitkovice "Urad mestskeho obrodu", or at least this is
        what
        > it appears to say.
        >
        > Could that be right? If so, what the heck does it mean? I understand the
        > words, but I don't understand the reality behind it.
      • Helga Humlova
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 31, 2002
          Hi Jamie,
          if I'm not mistaken, it should read "obvod" it the district authority (in
          German we call it Bezirksamt or Kreisbehoerde) so in Prague you have those
          for Prague 1 to Prague 14 (I guess) in rural areas you have one for the
          given city and one for the villages around this city.

          H.

          I've got a CSSR birth certificate here on which the almost-legible stamp is
          from the Ostrava-Vitkovice "Urad mestskeho obrodu", or at least this is what
          it appears to say.

          Could that be right? If so, what the heck does it mean? I understand the
          words, but I don't understand the reality behind it.

          Jamie

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=228862.2128520.3581629.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=17050435
          88:HM/A=1155067/R=0/*http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/990-1736-1039-302>

          Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 31, 2002
            Actually, Vitkovice is the home of (once Rotschil-owned) Vitkovicke
            zelezarny and can hardly be called a rural area - in Ostrava as a whole,
            although we/they have numbered city districts, the numbers never caught on
            and everyone refers to where they live etc. by the place names, Vitkovice,
            Poruba, Zabreh, etc. One more little difference I never noticed until now...

            Matej

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 31, 2002
              In a message dated 7/31/02 12:59:04 PM, david@... writes:

              >You probably made a typo ("obrodu" instead of "obvodu") or I don't
              >understand what exactly you don't understand :-).

              No, honestly that's what it looked like in the scan. Plus, the U in "obvodu"
              looked like it had a krouzek over it, when I blew up the image.

              >An "urad mestskeho obvodu"
              >is the official name for a municipal office of a city district, but I
              >suppose that's something you already know.

              There was no such thing as a mestsky obvod where I lived. All we had was
              what people still called a narodni vybor. This is apparently a big gap in my
              knowledge due to the fact that I learned Czech from my environment, and in
              the space of only three years. It was conceivable to me that some government
              might make up a strange term like "office of municipal rebirth", because
              decayed US cities are full of things like that.

              Thanks very much. This is embarrassing.

              Jamie
            • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 31, 2002
                In a message dated 7/31/02 1:05:55 PM, helga.humlova@... writes:

                >if I'm not mistaken, it should read "obvod" it the district authority
                >(in German we call it Bezirksamt or Kreisbehoerde) so in Prague you have
                those
                >for Prague 1 to Prague 14 (I guess) in rural areas you have one for the
                >given city and one for the villages around this city.

                Thanks you. I don't remember there being one in Marianske Lazne, but I could
                be wrong.

                Jamie
              • David Fuchs
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 31, 2002
                  Hi Jamie,

                  > >An "urad mestskeho obvodu"
                  > >is the official name for the municipal office of a city district, but I
                  > >suppose that's something you already know.
                  >
                  > There was no such thing as a mestsky obvod where I lived.

                  Sure, nnless you live in a 'large' city (i.e. one divided into districts),
                  you don't get to deal with a UMO (Urad mestskeho obvodu).

                  > what people still called a narodni vybor. This is apparently a big gap in
                  my
                  > knowledge due to the fact that I learned Czech from my environment, and in
                  > the space of only three years. It was conceivable to me that some
                  government
                  > might make up a strange term like "office of municipal rebirth", because
                  > decayed US cities are full of things like that.
                  >
                  > This is embarrassing.

                  I don't think so. I've lived in this country my whole life and I'm not 135%
                  sure when the term 'UMO' officially came into being. You wrote your document
                  was from the 'CSSR' period. If I remember well, we had "mistni narodni
                  vybor" (MNV) or "mestsky narodni vybor" (MeNV [e wedge]) at the local level,
                  "okresni narodni vybor" (ONV) and "krajsky narodni vybor" (KNV) before
                  commies - temporarily - went where they belonged.

                  HIH,

                  D.
                • Vlasta Palikova
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 31, 2002
                    Hello,

                    could anyone tell me what this "poom" might be?

                    Could not log on to poom.
                    Could not create poom contact.

                    Context: mobile communications, telephoning from vehicles

                    Thanks (the deadline is this afternoon)
                    Vlasta

                    ---
                    Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
                      --- In Czechlist@y..., "Vlasta Palikova" <vlastimila@p...> wrote:
                      > Hello,
                      >
                      > could anyone tell me what this "poom" might be?

                      Does this fit your context?

                      Pocket Outlook Object Model (POOM) SDK is developed by Microsoft and allows third-party applications to access Pocket Outlook. POOM is a single DLL, called pimstore.dll which has to be installed in the \Windows folder on the mobile device. HPC Notes Lite, Standard, and Professional editions use pimstore.dll to support two new commands: Create Appointment and Create Task. HPC Notes works without this DLL, however these commands are inaccessible. This DLL is not included with HPC Notes due to its size (approx. 260KB).

                      http://www.phatware.com/support/pimstore.html

                      M.
                      -------
                      Nase mladez miluje prepych. Nema spravne chovani. Neuznava autority a nema uctu pred starim. Deti odmlouvaji rodicum, srkaji pri jidle a tyranizuji sve ucitele.
                      - Sokrates
                    • Vlasta Palikova
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
                        OK, thanks, that was it. I think it has no Czech equivalent and is
                        translated as "poom". Fortunately, it declines "nicely" (bez poomu, s
                        poomem) (grr, how disgusting!). Melvyn, thanks again, I am in a great hurry,
                        finishing a job and preparing luggage for holiday... you helped me a lot.
                        Vlasta
                        Nase mladez...jak trefne. Mam 16letou dceru, pan Sokrates ji asi zna ze
                        skoly (asi ho maji z obcanky?) nebo se seznamili na nejakem chatu (ze by
                        nick?). VP

                        ---
                        Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.