Re: [Czechlist] Term: lev salonu

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2000
      Hi Irena,

      >BTW the "social lion" can also be found in Slovnik ceske frazeologie a
      idiomatiky (which lists English, German, French and Russian equivalents if
      there are any).

      I must admit I never used this phrase in my life before until I answered
      your query:)

      >Which dictionary - Brewer's?

      I have an edition called the "Wordsworth Dictionary of Phrase and Fable"
      which is based on
      Brewer's with the addition of more recent phrases such as "golden
      handshake", "mods and
      rockers", "brain drain", "four-letter words", "hobbit", "Oxbridge",
      "redbrick university" and the like, as well as phrases of Irish, Welsh,
      American and Commonwealth origin. It comes in the cheap paperback Wordsworth
      Reference series - I picked it up for a mere two pounds.

      Melvyn

      FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com