Re: [Czechlist] Term: lev salonu

  • Irena Steinerov√°
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2000
      Hi Melvyn and FliesAndLizardsCanObtrude,

      Thanks for very interesting ideas about lizards, lions and other nocturnal
      creatures.
      I know that there can hardly exist a single term in English which would
      fully correspond with the Czech one.

      BTW the "social lion" can also be found in Slovnik ceske frazeologie a
      idiomatiky (which lists English, German, French and Russian equivalents if
      there are any).

      >>My Dictionary of Phrase and Fable describes "lounge lizard" as a popular
      >phrase

      Which dictionary - Brewer's?

      Irena
      >FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
      >Sign up at http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

      >Remember four years of good friends, bad clothes, explosive chemistry
      >experiments.
      >
      >Czechlist homepage:
      >http://www.egroups.com/group/Czechlist
      >
      >Community email addresses:
      > Post message: Czechlist@egroups.com
      > Subscribe: Czechlist-subscribe@egroups.com
      > Digest: Czechlist-digest@egroups.com

    • Melvyn Clarke
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 8, 2000
        Hi Irena,

        >BTW the "social lion" can also be found in Slovnik ceske frazeologie a
        idiomatiky (which lists English, German, French and Russian equivalents if
        there are any).

        I must admit I never used this phrase in my life before until I answered
        your query:)

        >Which dictionary - Brewer's?

        I have an edition called the "Wordsworth Dictionary of Phrase and Fable"
        which is based on
        Brewer's with the addition of more recent phrases such as "golden
        handshake", "mods and
        rockers", "brain drain", "four-letter words", "hobbit", "Oxbridge",
        "redbrick university" and the like, as well as phrases of Irish, Welsh,
        American and Commonwealth origin. It comes in the cheap paperback Wordsworth
        Reference series - I picked it up for a mere two pounds.

        Melvyn

        FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com