Re: HELP: terminology concerning Prague

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2002
      --- In Czechlist@y..., "miriam cekalova" <miriamcekalova@h...> wrote:
      >I´m currently doing proofreading of English texts for a new
      >Internet portal concerning the Czech Republic and I have a few
      >questions about names. When opening other similarly oriented
      >Internet portals, I noticed that Katedrála sv. Víta can be both St.
      Vitus Cathedral and St. Vitus´s Cathedral.

      Hello Miriam,

      On the usual model of St. John's Chapel and St. George's Church
      ("St. George Church" doesn't look right at all), I'd go for the
      apostrophe - normally without the final s. St. Nicholas' Church,
      for example, somehow looks less cluttered to me than St. Nicholas's
      Church but that is just a minor point and possibly an aesthetic
      quirk on my part. "St Nicholas Church" is actually an anomaly that
      I would not feel quite so bad about as "St. George Church" but I
      wouldn't normally use it myself.

      >In the case of Stavovské divadlo I found Estates Theatre, Theatre
      of the Estates, Stavovské Theatre, etc.

      I just passed the place this afternoon and they were advertising
      themselves as the "Estates Theatre", which does not sound too bad to
      me. Again, it might just be my own idiosyncracy but I'd say Theatre
      of the Estates has a nice dignified ring to it too, and that is what
      is used in "Prague - Eleven Centuries of Architecture" by Stankova,
      Stursa and Vodera, admirably translated by David Vaughan and Zdenek
      Vyplel, a work that I often use for reference and would very much
      recommend.

      >And what about the translation of other theatres: Na provázku
      Theatre, Theatre Na >provázku, Divadlo Na provázku theatre...?

      I'd take this kind of thing on a case by case and a text by text
      basis. In texts for public consumption, I will often go for instant
      aesthetic appeal where possible rather than attempt to be
      consistent. In this case, because the translated name is so
      appealing, I'd probably use the full Czech original with a
      translation in brackets (Theatre on a String). A lot depends on the
      effect you are trying to put over, and if the English name the
      theatre calls itself is tolerable then I guess that comes into the
      reckoning too.

      >Another thing that I have to cope with quite often is the
      >translation of names of historical personalities. Would you, e.g.,
      >translate first names of less known people such as Jan ze Støedy
      >(Jan of Støeda or John of Støeda?)into English?

      I'll normally follow the convention of using English names where
      possible if these guys have a crown or a halo on their head, so if
      John of Luxemburg is sitting side by side in the same sentence as
      some John of Nemanice then it might look silly to call the former
      John and the latter Jan. So everybody tends to get called John. But
      again, I don't claim to be consistent.

      Melvyn of Zehrovice

      P.S. Matej, Martin, pencil me in as "possible" for Monday.

      P.P.S. >BTW, what's an "appropriate" moment for a nuclear weapon to
      explode? :)
      Hang on, I'll just check my diary again...
    • miriam cekalova
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4, 2002
        Hello Melvyn,
        Thank you for your advise and recommendations. It helped me a lot.
        Miriam