Re: [Czechlist] CHAT: Grass (was: Koala?)

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2002
      Roll it while it's growing? Haven't heard of that.....

      Any other grass-growing tips appreciated.....as of this morning, there's 1mm
      long green things all over my garden, looks like the horticultural
      equivalent of 5 o'clock shade......

      Matej

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2002
        > Roll it while it's growing? Haven't heard of that.....

        Rolling helps to bed in the roots. If you cut it too early it just rips out
        and kills the young grass by the roots. Rolling it helps to firm in the
        roots. It will flatten the grass for a day or so, but don't worry, it will
        spring back.

        > Any other grass-growing tips appreciated.....as of this morning, there's
        1mm
        > long green things all over my garden, looks like the horticultural
        > equivalent of 5 o'clock shade......

        It's exciting isn't it? You can weed it! And by hand - don't put on any
        selective weedkiller (if you intend to use it that is) until the grass is
        well established. It's good to scatter chicken dung pellets over the grass
        to feed it. And keep pets off! When you do cut the grass, keep the
        blades high for the first 3 or 4 cuts. A sign that your blades are blunt is
        if, after cutting, the grass gets brown tips.

        Lindsay