HELP: terminology concerning Prague

  • miriam cekalova
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2002
      Hello,

      I�m currently doing proofreading of English texts for a new Internet portal
      concerning the Czech Republic and I have a few questions about names. When
      opening other similarly oriented Internet portals, I noticed that Katedr�la
      sv. V�ta can be both St. Vitus Cathedral and St. Vitus�s Cathedral. In case
      of Stavovsk� divadlo I found Estates Theatre, Theatre of the Estates,
      Stavovsk� Theatre, etc. And what about the translation of other theatres: Na
      prov�zku Theatre, Theatre Na prov�zku, Divadlo Na prov�zku theatre...? I
      have some preferences, of course, but I would like to know the opinion of
      native speakers on the Czechlist.

      Another thing that I have to cope with quite often is the translation of
      names of historical personalities. Would you, e.g., translate first names of
      less known people such as Jan ze St�edy (Jan of St�eda or John of
      St�eda?)into English?

      I would also like to know whether there is any website focused on the Czech
      Republic, about which you know that it is perfect from the linguistic point
      of view.

      Thank you, Miriam

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2002
        --- In Czechlist@y..., "miriam cekalova" <miriamcekalova@h...> wrote:
        >I´m currently doing proofreading of English texts for a new
        >Internet portal concerning the Czech Republic and I have a few
        >questions about names. When opening other similarly oriented
        >Internet portals, I noticed that Katedrála sv. Víta can be both St.
        Vitus Cathedral and St. Vitus´s Cathedral.

        Hello Miriam,

        On the usual model of St. John's Chapel and St. George's Church
        ("St. George Church" doesn't look right at all), I'd go for the
        apostrophe - normally without the final s. St. Nicholas' Church,
        for example, somehow looks less cluttered to me than St. Nicholas's
        Church but that is just a minor point and possibly an aesthetic
        quirk on my part. "St Nicholas Church" is actually an anomaly that
        I would not feel quite so bad about as "St. George Church" but I
        wouldn't normally use it myself.

        >In the case of Stavovské divadlo I found Estates Theatre, Theatre
        of the Estates, Stavovské Theatre, etc.

        I just passed the place this afternoon and they were advertising
        themselves as the "Estates Theatre", which does not sound too bad to
        me. Again, it might just be my own idiosyncracy but I'd say Theatre
        of the Estates has a nice dignified ring to it too, and that is what
        is used in "Prague - Eleven Centuries of Architecture" by Stankova,
        Stursa and Vodera, admirably translated by David Vaughan and Zdenek
        Vyplel, a work that I often use for reference and would very much
        recommend.

        >And what about the translation of other theatres: Na provázku
        Theatre, Theatre Na >provázku, Divadlo Na provázku theatre...?

        I'd take this kind of thing on a case by case and a text by text
        basis. In texts for public consumption, I will often go for instant
        aesthetic appeal where possible rather than attempt to be
        consistent. In this case, because the translated name is so
        appealing, I'd probably use the full Czech original with a
        translation in brackets (Theatre on a String). A lot depends on the
        effect you are trying to put over, and if the English name the
        theatre calls itself is tolerable then I guess that comes into the
        reckoning too.

        >Another thing that I have to cope with quite often is the
        >translation of names of historical personalities. Would you, e.g.,
        >translate first names of less known people such as Jan ze Støedy
        >(Jan of Støeda or John of Støeda?)into English?

        I'll normally follow the convention of using English names where
        possible if these guys have a crown or a halo on their head, so if
        John of Luxemburg is sitting side by side in the same sentence as
        some John of Nemanice then it might look silly to call the former
        John and the latter Jan. So everybody tends to get called John. But
        again, I don't claim to be consistent.

        Melvyn of Zehrovice

        P.S. Matej, Martin, pencil me in as "possible" for Monday.

        P.P.S. >BTW, what's an "appropriate" moment for a nuclear weapon to
        explode? :)
        Hang on, I'll just check my diary again...
      • miriam cekalova
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4, 2002
          Hello Melvyn,
          Thank you for your advise and recommendations. It helped me a lot.
          Miriam