Re: [Czechlist] Troubles with Agency / contract interpretation - YOUR views are highly appreciated!

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2002
      Hi Helga,

      My understanding is the agency wants to get the new prospectus in German, but does not want to pay you for translating what has been done already. That is, they expect you to use Trados, use all 100% matches (i.e. all strings that have already been translated), use any fuzzy matches (i.e. edit old strings if differ in 1-2-3 words from the new version) and to translate from scratch what is completely new. For such a case however, a either special rate should have been agreed in advance for 100% and fuzzy matches (I mean discount such as charging 30 resp. 70% of the full rate), or you can "just edit" for a per-hour fee.

      To your questions directly: My view is 1) and 2), respectively. Usually, if you go for 100% and fuzzy rates and feel you need to change more, you should warn them saying, this and that is really bad and need improving, but I will charge more - OK? Or, you do it for free if small enough.

      But anyway, as Kostas says, clear definition of work and rates at the beginning is crucial.

      HTH

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2002
        Hi to all in Czechlist and Wordfast_CZ listmates (= Cross INFO to two
        groups)

        Do you need Trados?

        " they expect you to use Trados, use all 100% matches
        (i.e. all strings that have already been translated"
        You can work with Wordfast instead of Trados.
        ==================================

        Wordfast is free SW, you can download it from www.champollion.net.

        You can add it to MS-Word, and to Wordfast join
        2 dictionaries
        (you sure have some or you can buy some // I sell SW, too//),
        2 glossaries /your or from customer or agencies/, 1 blacklist and many TM.

        You can work with TM of Trados and send to translating agency uncleaned
        document.

        You can create your TM with feature +Align in utility +Tools.
        (If you have source and target languege documents in your arhive.)
        You can extract terminologie with feature +Extract. Prepare glossary for QC.

        Program is template for MS-Office, MS-Word.
        You can quickly download ziped file which
        contain *.dot + *.doc = manual in English.

        In menu MANUAL of www.champollion.net you can find
        manual: translated manual to Czech and other languages.
        contact to local trainer of "Essential of Wordfast".
        I am trainer for Czech republic, see Mutual = Local Mutual Support.

        Some of you use Wordfast yet and I can read your post in English page

        to receive only a daily digest, send a blank mail to
        --> wordfast-digest@yahoogroups.com
        to receive no mails but remain group member:
        --> wordfast-nomail@yahoogroups.com
        to unsubscribe:

        Pokud neumite anglicky muzete se pripojit do

        finske skupiny, poslete e-mail mailto:wordfast_FI-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        francouzske skupiny, poslete e-mail
        mailto:wordfast_FR-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        recke skupiny, poslete e-mail mailto:wordfast_GR-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        portugalske skupiny, poslete e-mail
        mailto:wordfast_PT-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        polske skupiny, poslete e-mail mailto:wordfast_PL-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        svedske skupiny, jen poslete e-mail
        mailto:wordfast_SV-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Zatim to vypada tak, ze kazdy nemecky prekladatel umi anglicky a nemecka
        diskuzni
        skupina nefunguje. Manual a manual pro zacatecniky v nemcine je k dispozici
        .

        nejake soubory ke stazeni, napr. preklad manualu +Tools.
        Dam tam i preklad nemeckeho manualu pro zacatecniky.

        S pozdravem
        Cheers
        Milan Condak
        (Ing. Milan Condák)

      • Josef Hlavac
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 7, 2002
          Hello everyone,

          Translating a computer text that turned into marketing, I am stuck at
          several terms and abbreviations. It all concerns promotional activities
          for a certain brand in different stores. Unfortunately, most of them are
          labels in an Excel sheet, so there's not much context. Could anyone give
          me a hint?

          P&L (I thought Parts&Labor but it does not fit the context very well)
          Norm Off Invoice Discount (no context)
          MIS Net (no context), or MIS Sales
          RSP Sales (no context)
          Net Sales Net (why the "double net" ???)
          Cont 1 (a number in pounds indicating some kind of gain?)
          Share of Promotional Voice (no clue)

          TIA, Joe

          --
          Mailto: Josef "Joe" Hlavac <joe@...>
          Phone: +420-776-736715
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 7, 2002
            Have a look at www.acronymfinder.com to check if some explanations of
            abbreviations correspond to the context. MIS has 34 hits, RSP 26 hits...

            Hana

            > Translating a computer text that turned into marketing, I am stuck at
            > several terms and abbreviations. It all concerns promotional activities
            > for a certain brand in different stores. Unfortunately, most of them are
            > labels in an Excel sheet, so there's not much context. Could anyone give
            > me a hint?
            >
            > P&L (I thought Parts&Labor but it does not fit the context very well)
            > Norm Off Invoice Discount (no context)
            > MIS Net (no context), or MIS Sales
            > RSP Sales (no context)
            > Net Sales Net (why the "double net" ???)
            > Cont 1 (a number in pounds indicating some kind of gain?)
            > Share of Promotional Voice (no clue)
            >
            > TIA, Joe
            >
            > --
            > Mailto: Josef "Joe" Hlavac <joe@...>
            > Phone: +420-776-736715
            > --

          • Michael Grant
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 8, 2002
              On 7/7/02 6:03 AM, "Josef Hlavac" <joe@...> wrote:

              > P&L (I thought Parts&Labor but it does not fit the context very well)

              Profit or loss?
              Michael

              --
              tell everyone
              set meanness of every person of every nation of every world to 0
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 8, 2002
                Yes, that fits right in! Thanks Michael!

                Also, thanks to Hana for acronymfinder. I wonder why didn't I think of
                this site as I remember it mentioned here quite a few times...

                Joe

                --
                Mailto: Josef "Joe" Hlavac <joe@...>
                Phone: +420-776-736715