Troubles with Agency / contract interpretation - YOUR views are highly appreciated!

  • Helga Humlova
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 28 5:09 PM
      Hi List,
      Yes, we are still talking this financial prospectus. The company does not
      want to pay based on the below. Would you please comment and explain how YOU
      would have understood the instructions (see below!). What I received from
      them was a) a complete set of the previous GER document, b) a complete set
      of the previous ENG document and c) a complete set of the new English
      version.
      Mainly I am interested in YOUR views on the terms "amendments necessary".
      Does that say:
      1) translate ONLY what has not yet been translated or
      2) translate what has not yet been translated PLUS edit, proof read,
      re-translate what ever is incorrect, inappropriate (language wise, use of
      words, word order in sentences,.)
      3)
      and "to make use of the previous translation"
      Does that say:
      1) I have to use what and how it has been translated or
      2) For review and help use previous translation

      quote
      Unfortunately, you did not follow our instructions correctly. You have done
      different project to the one you were granted.

      On the project description, we stated:

      "Financial services prospectus
      services prospectus. Some stockmarket terminology and quasi legal passages
      make this a text for translators with some experience. The translator will
      also need to have Trados to be able to make use of the previous
      translations."
      quote

      Thanks to all of you for your patience and help during my time with the
      financial prospectus!
      Helga

    • Kostas Zgafas
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 28 5:47 PM
        I did not follow the previous discussion, but if I were told "amendments
        necessary to previously translated...",
        I would most probably look for a separate list of amendments (i.e. changes,
        additions, revisions) added to the previously translated document.

        In general, when dealing with agencies, if I have any slightest doubt about
        the job assignement, and I want to be sure that we both understand it in the
        same way, I often rewrite the assignement as I understand it in my own
        words, and ask them clearly: "Please confirm, etc..."

        Kostas

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 30 2:19 AM
          Hi Helga,

          My understanding is the agency wants to get the new prospectus in German, but does not want to pay you for translating what has been done already. That is, they expect you to use Trados, use all 100% matches (i.e. all strings that have already been translated), use any fuzzy matches (i.e. edit old strings if differ in 1-2-3 words from the new version) and to translate from scratch what is completely new. For such a case however, a either special rate should have been agreed in advance for 100% and fuzzy matches (I mean discount such as charging 30 resp. 70% of the full rate), or you can "just edit" for a per-hour fee.

          To your questions directly: My view is 1) and 2), respectively. Usually, if you go for 100% and fuzzy rates and feel you need to change more, you should warn them saying, this and that is really bad and need improving, but I will charge more - OK? Or, you do it for free if small enough.

          But anyway, as Kostas says, clear definition of work and rates at the beginning is crucial.

          HTH

[...]

          Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

        • Milan Condak
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2002
            Hi to all in Czechlist and Wordfast_CZ listmates (= Cross INFO to two
            groups)

            Do you need Trados?

            " they expect you to use Trados, use all 100% matches
            (i.e. all strings that have already been translated"
            You can work with Wordfast instead of Trados.
            ==================================

            Wordfast is free SW, you can download it from www.champollion.net.

            You can add it to MS-Word, and to Wordfast join
            2 dictionaries
            (you sure have some or you can buy some // I sell SW, too//),
            2 glossaries /your or from customer or agencies/, 1 blacklist and many TM.

            You can work with TM of Trados and send to translating agency uncleaned
            document.

            You can create your TM with feature +Align in utility +Tools.
            (If you have source and target languege documents in your arhive.)
            You can extract terminologie with feature +Extract. Prepare glossary for QC.

            Program is template for MS-Office, MS-Word.
            You can quickly download ziped file which
            contain *.dot + *.doc = manual in English.

            In menu MANUAL of www.champollion.net you can find
            manual: translated manual to Czech and other languages.
            contact to local trainer of "Essential of Wordfast".
            I am trainer for Czech republic, see Mutual = Local Mutual Support.

            Some of you use Wordfast yet and I can read your post in English page

            to receive only a daily digest, send a blank mail to
            --> wordfast-digest@yahoogroups.com
            to receive no mails but remain group member:
            --> wordfast-nomail@yahoogroups.com
            to unsubscribe:

            Pokud neumite anglicky muzete se pripojit do

            finske skupiny, poslete e-mail mailto:wordfast_FI-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            francouzske skupiny, poslete e-mail
            mailto:wordfast_FR-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            recke skupiny, poslete e-mail mailto:wordfast_GR-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            portugalske skupiny, poslete e-mail
            mailto:wordfast_PT-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            polske skupiny, poslete e-mail mailto:wordfast_PL-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            svedske skupiny, jen poslete e-mail
            mailto:wordfast_SV-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            Zatim to vypada tak, ze kazdy nemecky prekladatel umi anglicky a nemecka
            diskuzni
            skupina nefunguje. Manual a manual pro zacatecniky v nemcine je k dispozici
            .

            nejake soubory ke stazeni, napr. preklad manualu +Tools.
            Dam tam i preklad nemeckeho manualu pro zacatecniky.

            S pozdravem
            Cheers
            Milan Condak
            (Ing. Milan Condák)

          • Josef Hlavac
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 7, 2002
              Hello everyone,

              Translating a computer text that turned into marketing, I am stuck at
              several terms and abbreviations. It all concerns promotional activities
              for a certain brand in different stores. Unfortunately, most of them are
              labels in an Excel sheet, so there's not much context. Could anyone give
              me a hint?

              P&L (I thought Parts&Labor but it does not fit the context very well)
              Norm Off Invoice Discount (no context)
              MIS Net (no context), or MIS Sales
              RSP Sales (no context)
              Net Sales Net (why the "double net" ???)
              Cont 1 (a number in pounds indicating some kind of gain?)
              Share of Promotional Voice (no clue)

              TIA, Joe

              --
              Mailto: Josef "Joe" Hlavac <joe@...>
              Phone: +420-776-736715
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 7, 2002
                Have a look at www.acronymfinder.com to check if some explanations of
                abbreviations correspond to the context. MIS has 34 hits, RSP 26 hits...

                Hana

                > Translating a computer text that turned into marketing, I am stuck at
                > several terms and abbreviations. It all concerns promotional activities
                > for a certain brand in different stores. Unfortunately, most of them are
                > labels in an Excel sheet, so there's not much context. Could anyone give
                > me a hint?
                >
                > P&L (I thought Parts&Labor but it does not fit the context very well)
                > Norm Off Invoice Discount (no context)
                > MIS Net (no context), or MIS Sales
                > RSP Sales (no context)
                > Net Sales Net (why the "double net" ???)
                > Cont 1 (a number in pounds indicating some kind of gain?)
                > Share of Promotional Voice (no clue)
                >
                > TIA, Joe
                >
                > --
                > Mailto: Josef "Joe" Hlavac <joe@...>
                > Phone: +420-776-736715
                > --

              • Michael Grant
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 8, 2002
                  On 7/7/02 6:03 AM, "Josef Hlavac" <joe@...> wrote:

                  > P&L (I thought Parts&Labor but it does not fit the context very well)

                  Profit or loss?
                  Michael

                  --
                  tell everyone
                  set meanness of every person of every nation of every world to 0
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 8, 2002
                    Yes, that fits right in! Thanks Michael!

                    Also, thanks to Hana for acronymfinder. I wonder why didn't I think of
                    this site as I remember it mentioned here quite a few times...

                    Joe

                    --
                    Mailto: Josef "Joe" Hlavac <joe@...>
                    Phone: +420-776-736715