RE: [Czechlist] otazecka

  • Hybs Jiri
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27, 2002
      Thank you Jamie, this helped me a lot!

      Jirka

      -----Original Message-----
      From: JPKIRCHNER@... [mailto:JPKIRCHNER@...]
      Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2002 12:39 PM
      To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Czechlist] otazecka

      In a message dated 6/27/02 2:32:44 AM, hybs.jiri@... writes:

      >dava nekomu smysl tahle veta?
      >
      >"Peaches 'n cream!Get a load of tall, dark and scaly!"

      There are two expressions at work here. One is "a peaches-and-cream
      complexion". That is a very white complexion with some rosiness. You often

      see people like this in the Czech Republic. They have very white skin and
      some blush to their cheeks, like lightly painted porcelain. This can
      indicate at the same time the innocent look of a young girl, maybe a
      teenager.

      "Get a load of" means "take a look at".

      The person is playing with the common expression "tall, dark and handsome",
      which means what it sounds like -- tall, dark-haired and handsome. Handsome

      is replaced with scaly, so either the the person being talked about has a
      bad
      skin problem, or more likely, he is being compared to a lower life form,
      such
      as a fish or a lizard. One that has scales.

      It sounds to me as if this is a comment upon seeing a sweet, beautiful,
      virginal young girl going with some kind of disgusting man who, in the
      opinion of the speaker, is sleazy and does not suit her.

      Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

      ---
      Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.