Re: TERM: Czechia - Cesko

  • Kostas Zgafas
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 1999
      On Czechia & Cesko
      It is good to discuss what flavour this or that particular word has for each of us. To me personally the word "Czechia" still sounds much more acceptable than the officially approved "Cesko".

      I must admit I do not understand: can you specify, please: when you say "Czechia", do you mean by this the English version of Cechie? When you say Cesko, which English version of it do you have in your mind? Czechland? I would propose to everybody to follow this discussion always quoting the pair: Czech version - English version to avoid confusion.

      Kostas
    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 1999
        >I can only guess at the level of disgust "Czechia" produces in
        >natives, but do you really think that using "Czech" as a substantive
        >is any better?

        Almost (but not quite) as bad as "Czechia".

        >Or do we possibly have some other options?

        Czechistan?

        Michael
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 1999
          >I would propose to everybody to follow this discussion always
          >quoting the pair: Czech version - English version to avoid confusion.

          But there's not necessarily a one-to-one correspondence. I think most
          of the messages so far have made a vague correspondence between
          pseudo-English "Czechia" and Czech "Cesko", but as you rightly point
          out "Czechia" could also = "Cechie".

          Czechistan, substituting C< for Cz and maybe � for a, works equally
          well in both languages. ;-)

          Michael
        • BNovotna@xxx.xxx

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 4, 1999
              >Does not "-stan" refer to lands of Islamic origin?

              Don't tell that to someone from Hindustan!

              >Blanka
              >
              >Czechistan, substituting C< for Cz and maybe � for a, works equally
              >well in both languages. ;-)

              Funny how my accented a turned into an s-hacek at your end. I guess
              I'd better avoid accents as well as haceks in my e-mail.

              Michael
            • Irena Steinerová
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 4, 1999
                >Does not "-stan" refer to lands of Islamic origin?

                But what about Kurdistan, Afghanistan - and Absurdistan? (The last one seems
                to be quite appropriate name for this country anyway...)
                Personally, I don't like Cesko - it sounds like Tesco or Pesko (dog-food
                store chain), but I am afraid we will (have to) get used to it. On the other
                hand, we have Slezsko and nobody has any objection to it.
                Czechland is better, but it evokes Disneyland to me.
                Irena
                >>Community email addresses:
                > Post message: Czechlist@onelist.com
                > Subscribe: Czechlist-subscribe@onelist.com
                >
                >Shortcut URL to this page:
                > http://www.onelist.com/community/Czechlist

              • Michael Grant
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 4, 1999
                  >Czechland is better, but it evokes Disneyland to me.

                  Parts of Prague in the summer remind me of Disneyland anyway....
                  Michael